1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA owner fined and suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand the distinction some are making between public and private remarks. He said it. Why does it matter that it wasn't to a reporter?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm hoping he's in the ground soon.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why don't reporters listen to the questions and answers already given

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was "for life", but it was somewhat understood that he would be able to come back at some point.

I think it's what Pete Rose was counting on when he was banned, only for him, it truly has been for life.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Exactly right, Bob Cook. Marge Schott was a pain in the ass. Sterling represented a serious threat to the NBA business model

6. Mizzougrad96

He's a public figure and even if he owns the team, he still has to answer to the league's rules.

Silver has to do what is in the best interest of the NBA. And he's done just that.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some are in love with the sound of their own voices.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Folks, even Michael Jordan chimed in. And I wouldn't be surprised if racists buy sneakers.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think we should give them some credit for just rightly being disgusted by what he said, and not wanting to be associated with him.

The Clippers were losing sponsors, and revenue fast, but as long as they took a strong stand of some sort against Sterling and his words, I don't think it would have hurt the NBA's business that badly.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

How do you ban an owner from "associating" with his own team? What is "associating?" Signing checks, having an office in the team's offices, approving funds for an acquisition, be it players or facilities, equipment, etc.?

I don't see how this is possible.

11. Mizzougrad96

Big difference between a player and an owner.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12 inches and 120 pounds

Draft saved Draft deleted