1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA On Hold Until 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 6, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Take out NBA and insert any random three-letter league abbreviation.

2. times38

times38 Member

the league has really gotten good again in the last two or three years. a lot of the bad apples are out of the league now, and the young stars are, by and large, really good guys.

3. times38

times38 Member

I should also note the quality of play is drastically better than it was from, oh, 1996-2004 or so, as well.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I read the NBA's ratings were up last year and up again this year.

In many ways this league is healthier and more relevant than baseball.

Boom you're letting the NY centric thing skew your view.

5. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Anyone who makes these broad brush statements about Lebron belongs on the ESPN message boards.

And seriously, the NBA is in better shape than the MLB right now. Not that that is saying much, but look how global the game has gotten in its marketing, compared to baseball that apparently only likes old white guys at its games, except on mother's day.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not to speak for Mr. Boom, but there probably is some truth to that. If I lived in proximity to that horrible basketball team, and had to listen to Isiah/Marbury crap every day for two years, I'd probably hate the NBA, too.

By and large, however, the NBA is putting out a much better product that it was even five years ago.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm not a Knicks fan, but I'm a 25-minute subway ride from Madison Square Garden and still love the NBA. And even here the LeBron talk has died down. I'm sure in the summer it will be rampant again. The Knicks might not have that much better of a record this year, but it's a far cry from the Isiah reign. They are pretty entertaining to watch and D'Antoni, despite whatever flaws he has, is a damn good NBA coach.

8. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Why is Dantoni a good coach?

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

We're not gonna do the "how many championships has he won thing" again, are we?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Unless James wins a Championship with the Cavs before he's a free agent, he's gone. The only chance to stick with the Cavs is to set up repeats-threepeats and fourpeats

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This may or may not be true. Like I said, they just needed to put themselves in position to win championships, to show LeBron they're serious, and they've done that.

I don't see why he would bolt for New York or New Jersey, both of which are a lot further than being a championship team than the Cavs, unless things completely fall apart in Cleveland (which, btw, is basically his hometown).

In fact, I'll go the other way and say if LeBron wins a title with the Cavs, it makes it MORE likely that he leaves. Sort of a "What else is there to accomplish here/looking for new challenges" sort of thing.

2010 is a long way away, but from what I'm hearing, I would be shocked -- shocked -- if he's anywhere but Cleveland. I think it's substantially more likely he signs an extension with the Cavs before he even becomes a free-agent, to be honest with you.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I tend to agree, if only because if the Cavs don't win this year or next, LeBron might have the feeling that he's beating his head against the wall by that point. The other thing that rarely gets mentioned is that the Knicks don't have to wait for the summer of 2010 to start going after some elite players. Beginning this offseason, they'll have enough expiring contracts and other pieces to pursue trades much like the ones that brought KG and Ray Allen to Boston. Toronto could deal Chris Bosh rather than lose him for nothing after next year, for instance, and the Knicks have the ability to be players in that market. Same with Amare Stoudamire if D'Antoni can stomach coaching him again. If the Cavs haven't won and LeBron has the chance to go to NY with a top-notch second banana already in place, I think there's a pretty good chance he'd do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted