1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA offseason thread '09: Where Chris Wallace happens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CitizenTino, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Shaq to Cleveland trade talks heating up again. Bucher just said it'd be Wallace, Pavlovic and the Cavs' first-rounder. No-brainer for the Cavs. Both those contracts expire at the same time as Shaq's does. A free Shaq for a year then 20M off the books for the big summer.

2. melock,

Thabeet pulled out of his workout with the grizz because he doesn't want to go there, and at this point, I think the T-Wolves have the pieces to package a pick, move up to 2, and nab Rubio. I really think Thabeet will be there for OKC.

2) Maynor is better than lawson. He's got more size, he'll be a much better defender, he knows how to run a team, and he's great at pick and rolls.

Lawson's got more speed. That's it when comparing the two. Maynor, to me, is by far the better prospect.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Good insight all the way around there.

I thought Thabeet pulled out b/c of a shoulder injury, but I can see why anybody wouldn't want to go to Memphis. What a horribly run franchise.

Thabeet would be a beast in OKC though. That team could be real good in a couple years.

I watched a little bit of Maynor tonight on ESPNU in VCU's conference championship game this past season. He's a good one. As long as he can get everyone involved I'd be more than fine with the Sixers taking him.

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Thabeet gives a team a Ty Thomas type of guy. I don't see what the big deal is. Not a gigantic difference maker. Go back and watch him become DeJuan Blair's bitch.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of Rubio? I just don't see the hoopla other than the fact that he hustles all over the place and genuinely seems to really enjoy playing the game. But is he a franchise player? I'm not sure.

Plus, who was the last European player picked in the top 5 or top 10 to really be a great player? Dirk ('98) maybe and that took a couple years. Gasol ('01). Who else?

http://www.nba.com/history/draft_top13.html

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Agreed. Blair ate him for lunch, but Thomas is 6-9, 215 though. Thabett is 7-3, 265. Big difference there. I like Thabeet as a defender and rebounder, but that's about it. Mutumboesque.

7. Jemele Hill says on facebook that the Shaq to Cleveland deal is officially done. If the Cavs can get Charlie Villanueva from Milwaukee, they may really be in business. Deal is for Wallace, Cavs first round pick at 30 and Sasha Pavlovic

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

But will Shaq be OK with LeBron dominating the ball?

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thabeet to the Griz

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Some interesting trades, too. Vince Carter to the Magic (guess they aren't bringing Hedo Turkoglu back?)

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

OKC takes Harden. First surprise of the draft.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Guess they figured they could get Carter for the same payroll, although AP's Tom Canavan speculated in his story that this deal might convince Turkoglu to stay. Carter takes over Courtney Lee's slot with Lee off to New Jersey and clears payroll for both teams.

Carter's almost a local boy, too — native of Daytona Beach. Was running his youth basketball camp there when he learned about the trade.

At least in Orlando nobody will expect Carter to carry the team — it's Howard's team. Lack of pressure to carry the club should help him in the playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted