1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA offseason thread '09: Where Chris Wallace happens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CitizenTino, Jun 23, 2009.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Figured with the draft coming in two days and a pair of trades going down today, this was a decent time to start this. Plus it provides me a distraction from watching the Indians blow a 5-0 lead in the ninth inning.

Interesting to see what Minnesota tries to do with picks at 5 and 6, assuming the deal to send Foye and Mike Miller to Wiz goes through.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How dumb does Minnesota look for trading Brandon Roy for Foye? Well done Kevin McHale.

I'm interested to see how this Rubio kid plays. And where. He's supposedly not keen on playing in Memphis, but wouldn't mind playing in OKC. Good draft for guards. Not so much for other positions.

Good trade for the Spurs. Jefferson is a pretty good player when healthy. That's a pretty good foursome in Parker, Duncan, Ginobili and Jefferson.

3. Nice deal by San Antonio, it definitely makes the Lakers' attempts to re-sign Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza all the more important to the 2009 Champs.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

But can they sign both especially with the huge deals Kobe and Bynam have?

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Who do you think the Sixers take? I like Maynor or Lawson, but I'm not sure if either will be there when Philly picks.

6. Lawson would be nice, but you're right, he might not be there.

7. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I like Maynor a lot more than Lawson.

As far as the Spurs trade, I like it for San Antonio. Thomas and Bowen are only getting older, and Bowen was pretty much MIA last season. Either way, one, or both, may end up back with the team.

Plus Jefferson is an efficient scorer and above average defender, so he fits right in.

8. ClevelandWill3

ClevelandWill3 New Member

I would have to think that Minnesota is going to move one of those picks unless they're throwing in the towel on next season.

Which might not be a bad idea!

9. The Thunder love James Harden, but they have to take Thabeet. 7-3 athletic shotblocking centers don't fall off trees, and if you look at his progress from his freshman through his junior year at uconn and project the next five years he has the chance to be the best player in this draft down the road.

Put him with Green and Durant and Westbrook, and this is a playoff team within three years, maybe even sooner. It's very rare that a team has a defensive stopper in the backcourt, Westbrook, and in the frontcourt, thabeet. You can get a shooting guard. Plus, Durant and Green are more than what you need offensively. Thatbeet is the way to go for OKC

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Rumor has it the Wolves are going to try and package their picks (they have four in the first round) to move up and get Rubio.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Problem is Thabeet won't be there at 3 b/c Memphis most likely will pick him at 2. Rubio's hesitation to play in Memphis and the fact that the Griz were the worst defensive team in the league makes Thabeet a slam-dunk pick in my mind for Memphis.

Then you get OKC, where Rubio wouldn't mind playing, but Westbrook works better with the ball than off it like he would have to if Rubio was there.

The Kings are the wild card. They need so much help that it's not out of the question for them to trade down and pick up some more picks (like Minny's five and 18) in this draft or future ones and maybe a player or two from the team that wants Rubio the most. And that's rumored to be Minnesota.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I just like Lawson more b/c he seems to be a pass-first PG and with guys like Brand, Iggy and Thad Young needing their shots having a guy like Maynor, who is very good IMO, but is maybe a bit more of a scorer than a true PG, doesn't work. Honestly though, I'd be happy with either one, but I'm not convinced either will be around at 17.

Great trade for San Antonio. Bowen and Thomas are just serviceable at best anymore and Jefferson is a top-25 player in the league in my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted