1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Off-Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Zion looks in tremendous shape here

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I should hope so, after 12 to 18 months of getting shit on for being fat. If he didn't respond to that, then he's probably the poor man's Shawn Kemp. I'm still worried about his ability to stay healthy - it's probably not good to yo-yo in weight, plus I think injuries are often like Newton's first law. Once you get one, it's easier to acquire more. I hope for my enjoyment's sake that he does stay healthy, though.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He also has to know that he lost a lot of leverage.

The season started with talk of him being the first guy to turn down a max extension on his rookie deal because he was so good and the Pelicans so beneath him. Another season of DNPs, coupled with the team doing just fine without him while giving Phoenix fits in the playoffs, has made his health a real issue for him.

He misses another 40+ games and he will find himself in "prove it" territory. If that Porter Jr. deal didn't give teams religion when it comes to health and availability, nothing will.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. sgreenwell

The Thunder acquiring Green was a little surprising to me, but then I read further and saw 1) it was the #30 pick this year and 2) they'll be getting a protected 2027 first round pick for doing it. The "protections" might mean the pick can convey, but if it does, it has to be better than #30 almost by default, and I wouldn't mind having any team's draft pick 5 years from now. Plus, there is a non-zero chance Green puts up stats for OKC, and he's moved again.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Wish the pick was before 2025 but that means the Pistons have $43 M in cap space and are gearing up to sign either DeAndre Ayton, Jalen Brunson or Miles Bridges as RFAs
    The other option is taking a bad contract (Gordon Hayward) for picks (Hornets would have to give up both 13 and 15)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the Blazers wasted a future first rounder and don't intend to re-sign Grant, it's a waste. I do like that the Blazers have finally added a scoring threat at forward for the first time since Aldridge. Hopefully opens things up for Dame. I'm guessing the thinking is the decision will be made by the next owner about whether to re-sign Grant.

9. Jake from State Farm

Lillard is the guy who wanted Grant so I’d say his chances of resigning are good

10. Jake from State Farm

Last time the Pistons had this much cap space they signed these guys

9B59486A-773D-48F4-A80D-1F8FBD98B2AB.jpeg

11. sgreenwell

I would rather have a Portland 2025 pick at this point than Grant. If Lillard is still on the team at that point, he would be 35. There's no mention of protection on that pick, either.

Also - Zach Lowe said on his pod the other day that the Nuggets pick to OKC in that trade is only Top 5 protected, and rolls over for three years before converting to a pair of seconds. So, the Thunder will almost certainly get a better pick than #30 out of the deal. Pretty much no downside for them to do it.

12. Jake from State Farm

The pick is from Milwaukee and it’s top four protected which means nothing since Giannis should still be going strong in 2025

Draft saved Draft deleted