1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Clippers have traded to get Celtics coach Doc Rivers, ending his 9-year run in Boston.

No text to the story yet other than the cutlines, one of them saying KG isn't part of the deal.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/23/doc-rivers-leaves-celtics-become-clippers-coach/W1EUyly4M73Ypjr2VguF8M/picture.html

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hard to figure what all the fuss was about. Rivers isn't, IMO, better than the guy they let go, Vinny Del Negro. So why are they willing to fork over half the farm to get him?

When I saw the names being kicked around in possible deals, I could see the Celtics getting ready to fleece someone again, the same way they did in the past.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Then your opinion is worthless, and you should never again post about the NBA.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Rivers by himself does not really help the Clippers enough. He is an upgrade over Del Negro, but their problem is that they have been starting three players who aren't really good enough. The least they really need is a starting caliber two guard and a center who can move his feet on defense. Of course that would mean moving Barnes into the starting lineup and they'd need to replace him, so it'd obviously be better to have a starting SF too.

I would imagine that what the ownership in Boston wanted most of all is to get out of paying Rivers 21 million dollars. You don't need to pay a coach that much when you are really looking to stockpile ping pong balls.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Clippers start two players that don't have any inside skills that translate in the playoffs. Until Griffin and Jordan develop better post moves and mid-range shots, Lob City will be a regular season party that doesn't win squat.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a great move for the Clippers. Getting Garnett would have been a disaster. One would assume that Paul is on board with hiring Rivers and if he signs, it's a good move.

A first-round pick, especially assuming it's lottery-protected and likely to be a late first-round pick, isn't a whole lot.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought you couldn't trade for coaches? Isn't that what messed up the first attempt?

And Mizzou, Paul is most definitely pulling the strings. No guesswork necessary. Getting Rivers assured that he'll re-sign with the Clippers.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sounds like the NBA won't allow a straight KG-to-Clips swap moving forward. Could still happen with other teams involved.

I read that the pick is unprotected, but it's for the 2015 draft, which is better than this year's but worse than next year's, which is loaded (Wiggins, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Marcus Smart, etc.)

9. Mizzougrad96

No question... There's not much not to like about this deal for the Clippers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Mizzougrad96

The most amazing thing about this is that the Clippers got exactly what they wanted and didn't have to give up a player or take on Garnett's contract.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd rather have KG and his contract than Jordan and his. But it's a good deal for both teams.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing Garnett will be somewhere else next season. He can't be happy about the Celtics being in rebuilding mode as he's in the twilight of his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted