1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Presuming everything falls into place, and the Brooklyn Nets emerge out of this with a core or Williams, Howard, Wallace, and Johnson--is that enough to beat the Heat and Bulls in the East? I think maybe it is.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think the Nets can get Howard anymore, unless 1) Williams doesn't sign with them or 2) Howard wants to take a well-below market deal or 3) the Magic want to accept some really horrible package for Howard, something like Humphries and/or Wallace. Johnson makes at or close to the max, and Williams will command near that too, so the Nets could only do a max deal on Howard if they managed to trade for him.

3. sgreenwell

Hawks make another deal, shipping out Marvin Williams for Devin Harris from the Jazz: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8124428/atlanta-hawks-trade-marvin-williams-utah-jazz-devin-harris-according-sources

I'm not sure why the Jazz wanted to do this - I think Harris is a bit better than Williams, plus he plays the point (harder to find a decent point than a 2 / 3 ), and Harris only has one year on his deal vs. two years.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I love how Dwight Howard is being even more of a punk than LeBron ever was, but will never get the criticism.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

A max contract isn't what it used to be. Hibbert may be getting the max, but it's only a four year deal. It's well worth it in the world of NBA contracts.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Broussard is now saying Nets and Magic are discussing this deal...

Nets get: Howard (maybe other small pieces for salary reasons, not sure)
    Magic get: Humphries, Lopez, Brooks, and 3 future first round picks.

That'd give Brooklyn a core of Williams, Johnson, and Howard. Jesus.

8. sgreenwell

I don't know - I haven't watched ESPN the past couple days, but Howard has been getting absolutely destroyed on talk radio and on Facebook. I also think the venom for him has been dispersed over the past year, since a couple months before the trade deadline, whereas for Lebron it arose almost immediately after The Decision.

9. JackReacher

I love how the lead headline on ESPN dot com says "Source: Howard going to Nets in trade"

Then, when you click on the story, it says "There's still a chance the Nets could get Howard."

Edit: Now, the headline has been changed to match the story.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Prokorov has been waiting for this summer since he first took over this team. What a windfall this would be.

11. JackReacher

Now, apparently a third team is needed to take on Humphries via sign and trade?

Man. Howard is making LeBron look like he handled his free agency with class.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Am I wrong in saying that Dwight Howard is one if not the biggest douche in professional sports today?

Draft saved Draft deleted