1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, in a game of one-on-one, you're right. But if physical fitness, team defense, rebounding and not being a pompous ass who takes 35 shots every meaningful game are involved, Bosh is better. Bosh has 79 career win shares to Anthony's 63, per basketball-reference. In addition, his offensive and defensive ratings are better. And, until he joined the Heat and opted for a third-tier, his Player Efficiency Rating was consistently better.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Bosh also didn't hold his team hostage before free agency, a la Anthony and Vince Carter.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Funny the way public sentiment can swing on a dime. The Heat win a title and suddenly the previously much maligned Chris Bosh is better than Carmelo--a notion that I'm guessin nobody would've dared claim a month ago.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've never wavered on this one, Stoney. Bosh was better when he was in Toronto and Anthony was in Denver, and he's better now, too.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If you say so. Well, put it this way: I never saw you, nor anybody else, claim anything like that before the Heat's title. Instead, it seemed like Bosh generally got ripped and ridiculed around here until the last month, but now it's suddenly become trendy to praise him.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So what exactly was Bosh doing to the Raptors in his final year? There is a lot of revisionist history here.

I believe you Versatile but I think that would put you in the minority. There will be a lot of people claiming the same thing now that the narrative has changed on Bosh. I would still take Anthony all day over Bosh.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At Syracuse, Anthony had one a pretty big win share during a game in early April.

Is Carmello a cancer for the Knicks? Possibly. Is Bosh more talented? No freaking way.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think Bosh still played hard until the end of his contract, kind of like what Lebron did, as opposed to Anthony, who sulked and asked for a trade in season.

Also, while I think Anthony is a prodigious scorer, he doesn't seem to have either the drive or the talent to play hard on defense for full seasons. If the Knicks picked up Phil Jackson or another elite coach, I'd feel more confident about his ability to pull it all together, but I don't think that's going to happen under Woodson. I never got the feeling that Bosh was dogging it or had an effort problem, maybe more of a mental "up in his head" thing. So I guess it boils down more to personal taste - Better to be a bit of a head case / not alpha dog who plays as hard as he can (and through an injury for the finals), or a guy with alpha dog talent who doesn't always seem interested in playing defense?

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Garnett signs 3-year deal to return to the Celtics:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/06/30/kevin-garnett-agrees-extension-with-celtics/UoaPXbXTSFF0J7pPTwt1fO/story.html

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

And now Howard is telling the Magic to trade him to the Nets:

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/01/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-wants-trade-to-nets/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fuck him. Seriously, why would anyone want this fuck? I know he is an athletic marvel, but sweet Lord, what a spoiled bitch.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8118159/sources-dwight-howard-tells-orlando-magic-gm-wants-trade-brooklyn-nets

According to this, Howard also claims that the Magic "blackmailed" him and is considering filing a legal complaint against the team seeking to be declared a free agent this summer.

The Magic are thoroughly screwed. Who's gonna make a fair offer for this guy after he's made it clear that he'll only play the Nets and will be the world's biggest pain in the ass if he doesn't get his way?

I get why these guys want to play for bigger market teams, but I'm not sure why they have to orchestrate their departure in a manner that seems purposely designed to maximize how much they're loathed and despised by their former home (see Howard, Lebron, Vince Carter, etc). I mean, jesus, these people worshipped your ass like a god for years, is it really that hard to work out a graceful exit?

Draft saved Draft deleted