1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At this stage of his career, Rasheed Wallace is not an "excellent addition" to anybody's roster, at any price.

By Halloween, Sheed will figure out why he doesn't like Doc Rivers (most likely the first time Rivers suggests he quit flinging up 3-pointers and play in the low post). By Thanksgiving, he'll convince Garnett and Rondo that they don't like him either. By Christmas, he'll be in double digits in technicals.

2. He'd be the No. 5 option on the Celtics, at most, and have a strong shot at another NBA Championship.

IF the team can convince him to play their style, it's a great addition for the short-term. They'd ask him to be a strong defensive presence and an occasional contributor on offense. I think most NBA observers would enjoy the Insane All-Star pairing of Garnett and Wallace. If I was a Celtics fan I'd be worred because they clearly need to add some more talent with other teams rapidly improving around them.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"I grew up in Los Angeles, got a lot of press and fans as a local boy, understand that winning a title there means I'll never have to buy another meal in LA again . . . but it's best right now for me to uproot my family and move to an unfamiliar city with a team that is on the verge of being forced into a major rebuilding mode."

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree more with Mannings. If the Celtics can keep Marbury in line for a half season, I don't think Wallace will be a problem, not on a two-year, mid-level deal and with strong vets like Garnett, Allen and Pierce around. Doc Rivers is also viewed as more of a "player's coach" and better with veterans, so I think there is a decent chance Wallace would be fine behavior-wise in the team dynamic. As far as the technicals go, meh, it subtracts from his value but doesn't kill it. Even if he does act up, the contract is short enough that they could probably just cut him and eat the money, and there isn't anyone else out there that would sign for mid-level money that really interests me.

That being said, who knows where Wallace will end up? When Thursday started, Artest was talking with LeBron, and Ariza was also rumored to be linked with the Cavs. By the end of the day, neither had signed with Cleveland.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Very, very curious to see how Turkoglu plays out. Apparently, his wife loves Toronto and wants to go there. But, the Raptors want no part of the tax, and would have to gut their roster -- renounce Parker, Delfino (who may be coming back) and Marion (whom they are trying to sign).

Linus Kleiza is reportedly interested in Toronto, too.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Great pull by ESPN SC in LA. Artest in the studio for a live interview right now.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Not surprised in the least that Toronto is interested in those guys. They love their Euros.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see what Ron Artest's role will be in Lakerland. One thing about Kobe is that he's definitely put himself on the edge a bit during this postseason with his silly technicals. I think part of that is because he's still trying to prove to people that he isn't a punk, but now Artest might become his goon of sorts. The guy that will take the tech for Kobe if he's getting a little too involved in a situation.

Either way good signing. Kobe and Artest will try to "out lock down defense" each other and will absolutely smother some teams in the backcourt.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rasheed Wallace is not "talent." He hasn't done anything useful in five years. He destroys teams from within.

10. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

As for the Pistons, they could have saved their money for next year by signing no one, but they would have left with nothing and have a horrible season. I don't think any of the free agents would be interested after that. This team should be improved over last year's (giving up Wallace and Iverson for Villanueva and Gordon) and should be competitive enough to draw interest from free agents in the future if Joe Dumars can work out a way to get cap room again in 2010.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rasheed and Marbury on the same team? I feel sorry for C's fans.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Marbury isn't going to be coming back, I don't think.

Draft saved Draft deleted