1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

instantrimshot.com

2. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Just ran through the wire: Ariza reportedly agrees to multiyear deal with Rockets.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ariza told the Times he's going to Houston. Five years, $33 million, roughly what he was offered by the Lakers to stay.

And the obligatory: "I had to do what was best for me and family," Ariza said.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Adrian Woj . . .ski from yahoo.com said on the radio that the Lakers basically called the bluff of Ariza's agent. He also said that Ariza will regret this the rest of his career, and that sometimes a shakeup is good for a team defending its title.

I don't know . . . I do think Jackson and Kobe can keep Artest in line, but I also know that he is unpredictable. I will say this: It makes sense considering other contenders' attempts to upgrade, like Rasheed Wallace to the Celtics and Shaquille O'Neal to the Cavaliers.

Vince Carter to Orlando is just a team freaking out and committing hara-kiri.

Ariza made a bad move.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Artest to the Lakers. Didn't think I'd see the day that happened, even if Artest has matured.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I know this is probably anal of me, but things like this irritate me this time of year:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6509192.html

The Rockets didn't "sign" anybody. Under league rules, nobody can sign a contract until July 8. All Ariza did was agree to terms.

There's a difference. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but we are in the business of being precise, right?

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Didn't see this posted, but the Celtics make a two-year offer to Rasheed Wallace.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303449

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ariza took the bigger pot of money, as in the five-year deal. And with no Yao likely, yeah, probably not a great move.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

::) ::) ::)

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's pretty much all of Houston's FA money to Ariza, right? Who is going to play center for this team? Chuck Hayes?

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True, overpaid. But I do think Gordon has some upside and hasn't reached his peak just yet. I think he has the potential to develop into a go-to scorer.

12. Like the Artest deal, especially for that money. Also like the Ariza deal for Houston...he's only going to get better. Don't really know what Detroit is trying to do. Rasheed Wallace to the Celtics would be an excellent addition with their midlevel.

Draft saved Draft deleted