1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I thought that was what Detroit purported itself to be doing with the Iverson trade (clearing cap space for 2010). So I'm not sure what to make of this.

I guess they are figuring AI and Sheed aren't going to be back, and you have to replace them somehow.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And they figure they better have some talent in place to appeal to LeBron. Can't imagine them making a pitch to get LeBron a year from now with bare bones in the lineup and on the bench.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll take Ben Gordon on my team anytime. And he I think he showed why in the playoff series with the Celtics.

One of only 20 NBA players to average 20 ppg last year; a career average over 18 ppg.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Anyone see Shaq's intro presser today? Love the picture he busted out of Danny Ferry. Classic. I'd post it here, but, well, I'm too lazy. It was funny, though.

5. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

That was hilarious.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Meh, he's an above-average player to me. Decent if you need someone to score points (and not play defense), but I wouldn't feel compelled to give him a long-term contract. He's 26, so he's probably not going to get a ton better, and his list of comparables at BasketballReference.com is full of good-but-not-great and non-Hall of Fame players: Leandrinho Barbosa, Darel Carrier, Isaiah Rider, Kirk Hinrich, Glen Combs, Emmanuel Ginobili, Mike Dunleavy, Maurice Williams, Charlie Williams and Kevin Martin.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There is no way Ben Gordon is worth 11 million dollars a year. He plays absolutely no defense and is streaky as hell. That said, when he's on ... wow.

But the Pistons turned Chauncey Billups into Ben Gordon and Villanueva? Bad move.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Cbssports.com has a headline saying Artest says he's going to sign with the Lakers.

I think Ariza's been asking for a bit too much. Yeah, he had a solid playoffs, hit some big shots, is active, etc. But he did nothing his first few years in the league and ended up in a great situation with the Lakers. I love his game, but is he really worth what he's asking for?

Would definitely be a circus in LA next year.

9. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Agreed. The Pistons look so lost right now, and what direction are they going in? I absolutely hate what they've done this offseason.

I think some dumb team is fixing to overpay Ariza big time.

Marc Stein reported earlier that Gortat is headed to Dallas.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I didn't see the Gortat thing. So the thousands of emails from Rockets fans didn't persuade him?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If the Lakers let Ariza get away, that's a bad, bad move. The Lakers are awash in money. They can afford the luxury tax.

12. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

CBS is reporting Artest to sign with LA now. Jesus god that's awful for the rest of the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted