1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA? Nobody watches the NBA. Hockey gets more viewers than hoops

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Mar 30, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

But a good 50% - 75% of the people who would be watching the NBA were watching college basketball. And that's probably a low estimate.

JR, I'm a longtime hockey fan and I generally don't give a rip about the NBA. But those numbers are skewed entirely because of the tournament. To suggest it's in any way a sign of life for hockey broadcasts in the US is just silly.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just so, A_QB.

I loves me so Thomas Vanek, yes I do.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't think that is what spnited was saying, though. It doesn't matter if the two New York teams have a national interest when there are so many people in New York, who will watch it giving it a large market share.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

PC
    Actually what I find interesting was that the AVERAGE viewership for ABC's Sunday afternoon games is around 1.9 and the NHL around 1. That's without NCAA.

Personally I thought it would have been a lot, lot more. What's the average viewership of a Sunday NFL game?

I have no illusions about hockey's place in America's sports universe. I just find the NBA ratings pretty scary.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing.

ABC's NBA ratings have traditionally been 2.0-2.5.

Last Sunday they were 1.9.

Without the NCAA Tournament, they likely would have been . . . 2.0-2.5.

David Stern doesn't care about a 1.9 on a Sunday afternoon in March.

He just wants to approach a 10.0 on a Sunday night in June.

Meanwhile, the NHL will still be getting 1.2s in prime time in June.

And therein lies the difference.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's true -- I would have expected more of a difference. That number may be in part because the weekend NHL game is the only national hockey broadcast for the vast majority of viewers while the NBA is on nationally seemingly every night. It has a novelty the NBA game lacks.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kobe's no Jerome Ignila dammit...

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So what does it mean if certain Mexican soccer matches are pulling 4.3 million viewers in the USA?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No. Last Sunday the NBA was 1.26, not 1.9. That's the average.

So, out of curiosity, how many viewers is a 10 rating and is that an accurate number?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A 10 rating is about 11 million households.

Last year's Finals did an 8.3. The year before it was 8.2. The year before that 11.5. In Jordan's heyday they got 15-18.

Without Jordan, the NBA likely needs the Laker effect to reach double digits.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, Angola.

I'm sure Crosby was a decent draw (relatively speaking) nationally. But the bulk of people watching hockey last Sunday were in the New York market.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, to put this in perspective, before the lockout what was the average rating for a Stanley Cup Final?

And anyone have a clue what the ratings were for the '94 Rangers Cup win?

What's MNF get?

Draft saved Draft deleted