1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Lottery selections: Chicago dude has no shame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, May 20, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Do enlighten us then.

2. Don't bet on slow horses.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

GMs have answered before, if the answer was obvious. I think Orlando did when they took Shaq and I think Cleveland did when they took James. I think the Clippers did when they took Manning.

It's worth asking...

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Three pages in and nobody comments on the odds of the No. 9 team winding up with the No. 1 pick, especially when said team is in the No. 3 media market in the country? Did they freeze the envelope again?

Oh, and leave it to the T-Wolves to wind up picking third in a draft that's two players deep.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's Beasley, and I don't think it's even close. Rose can be a great player, but you can always find another very good point guard in a few years. The Bulls have had zero inside scoring for forever. A big player like Beasley who's a legit scorer and rebounder doesn't come along that often. Rose will make his teammates better. But Beasley will, too, by finally forcing teams to defend the Bulls inside. That can turn Deng, a good mid-range shooter, into a 20-point-per-game player. If they don't move Gordon, he suddenly is open every time. The Bulls can always move players for a vet point guard if need be.

Look at Tony Parker. He's a very good player, but having Tim Duncan inside gives him a wide margin of error.

Plus, the hometown thing does not work in Chicago -- actually, LeBron seems to be a rare case where it's worked well anywhere. Rose is a good kid, but the pressure on him will be enormous, plus he'll constantly have to fight off every "cousin" who wants a piece of him. Well, he'll find a lot of "cousins" anyway, but at least they won't be a short El hop away.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Beasley strikes me as the kind of kid who will find his way into a lot of trouble off the court for some reason.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The NBA has become a guard driven league with the no hand check rules. Look what Williams, Paul and Nash have done for their teams.

How much do the ten Hawks fans regret taking Marvin Williams over Chris Paul.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They can still find really good players at that spot...look at Al Horford, who was drafted No. 3 last season.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Very true. Rose is a potential franchise point guard with incredible skills, plus he's a Chicago guy and can make some of those young guys better. He improved so much in that year at Memphis...he still has a ways to go, but if he lives up to his potential, he can honestly be in the Paul/Williams grouping more quickly than most would think.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

True, but look at the point guards still playing -- Tony Parker (28th pick), Rajon Rondo (21st pick), Derek Fisher (veteran) and Chancey Billips (3rd pick). I don't necessarily think the Bulls need to take Rose to make an impact next season. If Beasley makes more sense, I wouldn't hesitate to pick him.

That said, I still think Rose is the pick here.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Shit, the ten Hawks fan regret taking Shelden Williams over Rajon Rando.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the Bulls take Beasley, it'll be interesting to see what Miami does with their pick. Rose AND Wade in the backcourt? I suppose it would work, but it would mean a major role change for one or the other. It wouldn't surprise me if the Heat traded down.

Draft saved Draft deleted