1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Lottery selections: Chicago dude has no shame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, May 20, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that one.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Thirded. Looks like a lot of projects in his lottery predictions.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This killed me from Ford, as he picks Kevin Love to go to the Bobcats:

Dude, just sack up and call him a white guy. It's really, really lazy for basketball writers to pretend all white guys are the same kind of player. I'm waiting for someone to call Love the new Larry Bird.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Please don't laugh. Given how horrendous the Bobcats have been run from Day 1, this would fit right in. One of the few bastions of intelligence in Charlotte, Bernie Bickerstaff, is no longer with the franchise.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

FWIW, I've been contemplating it further (no reason for me to do it sooner; I never thought the Bulls had a chance in hell of getting the No. 1 pick), and I'm starting to lean toward Rose.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

But you were so strongly for taking Beasley, which to me wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Chicago. Why the change of heart?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've been thinking about Beasley more than Rose. I know what Rose brings. But there's some red flags that Beasley brings, and locker room turmoil is the last thing the Bulls need at this point. The only downside of taking Rose is it forces the Bulls to move Hinrich, which will be tough given his contract and the fact that he sucked last year.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Didn't know Beasley was a bad locker room guy.

I've always said if I ever had the chance to build a professional team that two kinds of players I'd steer clear of were ones with work ethic questions and ones with attitude questions. No. 1 what makes you think a fat contract is going to make a player who never worked hard to begin with decide to hit the weights or watch extra film. No. 2 if a player has caused a distraction or lockerroom issues before what makes you think they won't do it again.

Personally I like Rose. It's hard to find a point guard that can do that much for his team. And, like a quarterback, the ball usually starts in the PG's hands, which with Rose is a good place for a team's O to start. And to top it all off the NBA, like other pro sports, is a big copycat league and everyone saw how much Chris Paul did for the Hornets. Not saying Rose is that kind of player yet, but there's no reason to think he couldn't be down the road.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've been a Beasley guy for a long time, but I wouldn't fault anyone for taking Rose. He's talented, can do it all, and has proven that he can put aside his own ego and take a back seat for the good of the team. So many times, you hear debates about who should have been taken 1 or 2. In this case, the Heat are in the same win-win position the Sonics were in a year ago. No one will ever second-guess the pick, because they got the other slam dunk in the draft.

Re: Minnesota, I could see the T-wolves taking someone like Brook Lopez. They got guards, so a big man like him would make a ton of sense. Though obviously, I'm most curious to see where Darrell Arthur, Brandon Rush, Sasha Kaun and Darnell Jackson (and maybe Mario Chalmers, if he stays in) go, to see who else's bandwagon I need to ride.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Beasley is not a bad locker room guy. He has "character" issues because he did a bunch of childish stuff in high school. Childish like draw on his principals car with a sharpie because he thought it was funny, not childish like boot a basketball and walk off the court like Mayo.

He may be immature, but he's not immature in the way that will tear a team apart. The guy isn't a primadona. He's a big kid.

11. ramgrad08

ramgrad08 New Member

To anyone questioning Beasley's work ethic, ask yourself this question. How many players actually challenged Beasley? Pretty much every time he stepped on the floor he was the best player, which means he didn't have to work as hard as everybody else. But don't let that fool you.

Case in point, KS was playing my school, Winston-Salem State, in a meaningless game around the holidays. He pretty much breezed through the first half with 12 points. But one of our players blocked his shot and called the guy overated. He comes out in the second half and puts up 28 points to finish with 40.
    Once he gets to the league and is challenged, he'll produce.

12. Not a whole lot of NBA knowledge on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted