1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Lottery selections: Chicago dude has no shame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, May 20, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Bulls need a scoring presence in the paint much more than they need another guard.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You can't really go wrong with either guy. I have a "basketball crush" on Rose, I'm not going to lie. The things he can do just impress the hell out of me. I think with that roster having a PG like him would push them over the top. It would be one thing if Hinrich didn't look so bad last year, but he and Gordon just doesn't blow me away. I think they're in decent shape up front with Thomas and Noah with Deng and Nocioni on the wing.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

They'll pick Rose, I'm all but sure of it. He's a hometown kid, and besides that he's the best in the draft. I'm just upset my childhood favs the Sonics fell to No. 4. Who's going after Rose and Beasley? Mayo? Then who's left for the Sonics?

4. Boobie Miles

I know there is a highly touted Italian that I've seen projected as a top five, don't know any more about him though.

I definitely don't think Mayo is lock to go 3. Gordon is in the mix as well, though I'm not blown away by him.

5. EnZona

EnZona Member

Draft for talent, not need.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've seen both play extensively in college, and I saw Rose several times in high school. I'd rather have Beasley.

7. Boobie Miles

Unrelated to anything with these specific players or Doc thinking they should take Beasley, that is the best advice there is, particularly for basketball. You can move guys pretty easily, and one guy can really make all the difference.

These two guys are both uniquely and supremely talented. I like Rose's game better and while you shouldn't draft for need, I think he actually fits in better too. You can't go wrong, but you can go more right.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Beasley is the slam-dunk first pick in my mind. The guy is an absolute beast.

9. rube

rube Active Member

Man if I'm Chicago I'd be EXTREMELY tempted to trade this pick with someone who's desperate to move up ... you might be able to get a killing, and they really aren't that far off from being a legit contender -- as they were just a season ago.
    But if they keep it (which they probably will), they'd be stupid not to take Beasley. Like Chicago Doc said, they've got guards out the ass. And on top of that, I'm not completely convinced Rose is going to be that unbelievable. Beasley is such a unique talent, so tough to guard both inside and out.
    All in all, I'm just glad the Heat didn't get it -- even though they're going to end up with who they wanted anyway (that being Rose).

10. Boobie Miles

Wait, Gordon, Hinrich and Hughes... who are all these other guards? I'm actually serious, they just showed their roster on ESPN and that's all they had for the backcourt. You aren't building anything around Hughes, Gordon is what he is and Hinrich took a major step back.

Oh, I'm missing Chris Duhon. Again though, not a guy who is affecting what you do with the top pick.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

[stu inman] What if you REALLLY need a big guy?[/stu inman]

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I think, in the wake of what New Orleans did the past two years, they take Rose. Chris Paul turned the likes of Tyson Chandler (!) into an offensive threat and led his team to a game of the Western Conference finals. Could Rose do the same for the likes of Tyrus Thomas, Jo Noah and Drew Gooden, all of whom probably have a better offensive game than Chandler? Could he help Luol Deng make the leap and feed Ben Gordon and Larry Hughes for 3s? I think that's what the Bulls will be thinking about.

Beasley's a beast, and my first instinct was to anoint him as the pick, but now I'm switching to Rose. He's got good instincts and he can score.

Draft saved Draft deleted