1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA "likely" putting advertisments on jerseys starting in 2013-14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd imagine they'll think a little differently once their bank accounts get a little more fattened.

2. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

From what I've read, the jerseys will have ads on them. Which, I think that would negatively impact jersey sales. Just one more reason not to put ads on uniforms.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The pictures of Mark Martin are not only from different years, but from different teams. If a driver switches teams, in most cases that means a new sponsor, a new number and perhaps a new car manufacturer.
    Sponsors, numbers and colors don't automatically change every year. Earnhardt (the real one) drove a black No. 3 Goodwrench Chevy from 1988 until his death in 2001, with a few different paint schemes along the way for one non-points race here and there (except in 2000). Dale Jr. drove a red No. 8 Bud Chevy his whole time at DEI, to name just two examples.
    Having said that, I actually agree with the point about sponsor changes, but not the everything changes for every driver, every year part. More and more, teams are having to find multiple sponsors willing to do a few races each. I think most of that started with Earnhardt in 1995 and his 'Silver Ghost' one-race scheme. Roush teams in particular seem to switch sponsors a lot. A few years ago I was doing a story on Matt Kenseth coming to my local track. When I looked through wire service pics, I had a hard time telling who his primary sponsor was because of all the different paint schemes.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To say nothing of the uproar it will cause in Yakima.

Draft saved Draft deleted