1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA "likely" putting advertisments on jerseys starting in 2013-14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It will be like overseas soon enough....

[​IMG]

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you like the game, why would you care?

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I wonder how much it would cost for exclusivity on a jersey.

FedEx gets the Titans or the Grizzlies. Valero gets the Astros. Tim Horton's gets Buffalo ... TimBits for a touchdown!

$10 million a year? $20 million?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dunno.

Same reasons you might care about grass vs. turf, cookie-cutter stadiums vs. retro, whether Al Michaels or Chris Berman is broadcasting the game.

Asthetics mean something . . . or sure seem to based on the bandwidth we use to discuss them.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

If the Packers ever have an ad printed on their jerseys I would be pretty upset about it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is simply the most ridiculous argument in history.

Teams own the numbers. Not the drivers. You change teams, you change numbers. You don't only have one No. 14 in the NBA. You do in NASCAR.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I typed that out pretty much word-for-word (but twice as long; you know me) before deciding not to get into a pissing match.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As a fan, could you still buy a jersey without the ads?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd love to see a Goodyear Heat uni.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wonder how large the advertising contracts will be. If big enough, the deals could put advertisers in some degree of control over player acquisition and other management processes, which they have in NASCAR. It might seem minimal, but it could have a disproportionate effect on a player such as Metta World Peace.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't let common sense get in the way of $$$$.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I, too, am a fan of jerseys and have bought my share over the years. So I do care about the look they provide for teams. I guess before I make an adequate thought about ads on NBA jerseys, I'd have to see what the model would be like. I do know they look HORRIBLE on WNBA jerseys, almost bush league. But the WNBA needs that income. The NBA does not. I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Only the league and the respective advertiser benefit from such nonsense, obviously. I'd really like to know what players think.

Draft saved Draft deleted