1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA "likely" putting advertisments on jerseys starting in 2013-14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Same here. I'm a little surprised at some of the negative reaction. Then again, I'm a club soccer fan.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Within 10 years, every professional sport will be commercialized.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember about 20 years ago when Office Depot wanted to sponsor the foul pole (shape like a pencil) and everyone went apeshit. Until they were shown pictures of Ebbets Field where every single inch of the fence was an advertisement.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And when the pros do it, it will filter down to the colleges as well.

I'm a soccer fan. The idea of ads on jerseys don't bother me. I suspect US leagues will just have patches sewn onto the sleeves or something.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Seeing ads plastered on Lakers and Celtics jerseys (and maybe the Bulls and Spurs) will be jarring as hell. Everyone else in the sport I would barely notice.

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

What about current player contracts in regard to commercial sponsorships?
    Do they get a piece of the pie for being human billboards?
    It's also a good bet a player who endorses "Company A" will be forced to wear the ad for rival "Company B" if this happens. What happens then? Remember when the Dream Team won Olympic gold and Jordan (I believe) draped a towel on his warmup during the medal ceremony so he wouldn't be seen wearing the logo of the company that made the warmup?

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If you watched the Seattle Storm play, you wouldn't even know the team name. The Bing logo is more prominent than anything else.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And it already happens with college athletes who have to wear the Nike swoosh on their uniforms which is just one small logo.

But what happens if more than one sponsor is put on a college uniform? It'll be even harder to claim the athletes are just amateurs when they're being used as a billboard. They're going to want a piece of the pie.

Heck, there was an uproar when MJ's kid wanted to wear a different sneaker company's shoes instead of his school's. Multiply that by a couple hundred thousand "student-athletes".

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not sure I buy the slippery slope idea you're advocating here, at least as it extends to college sports.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Right now, Nike outfits a considerable portion of big-time NCAA college teams. Their logo is put on the jersey. It's noticable, but not obtrusive. And the athletes get some free gear, which they are pretty much required to wear. There have been stories out there of sponsors going nuts if they see a kid wearing a different sponsor's outfit, for instance.

But let's say two or three other sponsors put ads on the uniforms, making it a blatantly commercial enterprise. Don't you think those kids are going to wonder why they're endorsing products without getting paid for them? Especially when the NCAA already prohibits them from endorsing products?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nike is making the clothes. That's why they get the logo. It's small and unobtrusive. I don't think we'll see college teams putting other logos on jerseys for at least 20 years.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Players will get a piece of the pie in regards to how the salary cap is set.

Draft saved Draft deleted