1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Labor Pains

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 10, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Do we even have a thread on this? Can't find one.

First two weeks of the 2011-12 NBA season officially cancelled. Not postponed, cancelled, following another day of 'last ditch' meetings.

Back to the ditch, I guess.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/10/stern-first-two-weeks-of-nba-season-canceled.html

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a pro sport labor problem met with such total indifference? I don't care if they cancel the whole damn season, and I think I'm far from alone on this.

I don't know if it's fatigue from the NFL lockout, or an ebb in enthusiasm for the NBA, or what... but I don't get any sense that people give a damn about this. That's a dangerous position for the NBA to find itself in.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought despot Stern might recognize this when talks reconvened. Apparently not. Between the NFL being back for 10 years, the great MLB playoffs and college hoops, nobody at all cares if the NBA ever tips off again. I hope the season gets cancelled and nobody notices.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Supposedly, if this gets settled in the next few days the two weeks they just "cancelled" will be tacked on to the end of the regular season and the playoffs will be pushed back two weeks.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Starman saying Stern will force all players into starvation in 5...4...3...

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure. The last time the NBA had a lockout in 1998.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They are running a huge risk here of letting people know just how good life can be without them. Baseball did that with the strike in '94 and didn't recover until Roidball '98. Given how far the NBA has slipped of late, they may never recover from skipping a season.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone really care about basketball before Christmas? I have long thought that college and pro basketball should start after New Year's. College basketball could end the first week of May and the NBA could end in August. There would be no football to compete with at the beginning of the season and hence more season long interest.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No one cares about the NBA until about five days after the Super Bowl.

This is one of the biggest whopee-de-damn-do's in the past 20 years. A big yawn.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure, no one cares about the NBA until after Christmas, but...

...I'd argue that given the current pessimism now prevailing in all aspects of American society, the idea of a bunch of millionaires arguing with a bunch of multimillionaires and billionaires and as a result shelving a bunch of games that only the very wealthy ever attend to begin with is, well, a recipe for disinterest.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one cares except for all the people who made last year the most watched NBA season in history.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

October is a bad month to try and get people to give a crud about a sports league strike. World Series, NFL, college football, Presidents/Ryder Cup, NASCAR, maybe this will be the year of the NHL's great breakthrough...

Draft saved Draft deleted