1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Hall of Fame trainwreck ... Peter Vecsey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I loved his column when I was in college -- I remember that the newstand on campus would only get a few copies of the Post and they would hold one for me on the days that we wrote.

But he was never a great writer and his ratio on correct rumors was pretty poor.

I seem to recall reading that NBC once put together a package of his worst on-air incorrect rumors and showed it at some internal function.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dave, I actually remember that evening. I think because of Meadowlark. He was such a great showman for the game and he could definitely play.

3. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Dave, thanks for clearing up the reward that Vecsey received. That does make a difference.

And, at the same time, should sports writers really be getting stuff like that?? On the one hand, I think it's neat when Hal McCoy or a Rick Hummel -- who I grew up reading -- get honors like this from the baseball hall of fame. On the other, wouldn't it look pretty silly if the Democratic or Republican parties had a hall of fame with an honors wing and someone from the Washington Post was inducted into that??

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking, and based on that parallel, you're right. But probably too late to stop this train -- although it would be nice if all in sports media accepted it as an honorary thing, an annual tradition to bring the sports' storytellers along when enshrining the game's truly great performers and contributors. With that in mind, can people stop referring to "Hall of Fame baseball writer Peter Gammons" and so on? It's more like an award from APSE or a wire service or some other professional fraternity, it's not an "enshrinement."

There has to be some value, though, to getting a veteran writer or broadcaster on that stage to tell some tales, beyond the players' speeches. Though maybe not this time. :p

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

In baseball, the Spink Award is totally administered by the BBWAA. The BBWAA picks the candidates. BBWAA members vote on who wins. It is essentially a BBWAA award, and the folks in Cooperstown allow the BBWAA to use its space and its weekend to honor one of its own.

6. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Agreed on all of it. . .That train has left the station. . .Plus, the Gammons reference is nauseating and ESPN at its self-promotional best . . .and it's wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted