1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Hall of Fame trainwreck ... Peter Vecsey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seems to be PV's career motto ...

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Watch it and judge for yourself -- while it's still online:

3. bob

bob Member

The fact that some of us care about basketball and have spent much of our lives covering it enables us to have an understanding and an appreciation of the people who enter the Hall of Fame. And having covered the NBA for more than half my life, I know what I see and read of Vecsey. He does not belong in the HOF, and that's not a matter of jealousy. Him overshadowing Robinson, Stockton and Stringer is a travesty. You sound like some irrational poster on a message board: "All you writers are jealous." Give me a break.

4. Elliotte Friedman

That is an incredibly sanitized video, unfortunately.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72880/

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I only watched half before I was so bored I shut it down.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I couldn't even get through half. Kept thinking, there goes another ten seconds I'll never get back....

What a bizarre waste of a rare opportunity. You get into the HOF, and you can't make a speech that's a) gracious, b) interesting, and c) coherent? You don't even need all three, pick two!

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I didn't realize he was such a jerk. Is he really that bad? Any examples?
    His line to his kids ("I'd hate to be you") really was in bad taste. I can't believe he'd risk showing his true colors in a HOF speech. He should have been gracious like you all said.
    If he was joking, it didn't come across well. Even his ending saying he'd come back at 50 wasn't funny.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Just thought of something...I once had a talk, in private, with Isiah Thomas about his son. I asked him how hard it was for his boy to be "Isiah's son."

I remember his face. He had this expression when he would be really serious about things. He just paused and said, "It's hard. It's really hard. I just hope he finds something that makes him happy."

It was such a more fatherly reaction.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Wonder what his girl would say if you asked her how hard it is to be "Isiah's daughter" these days?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another example of why awards and accolades in this business mean little if Vecsey gets in the HOF.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Never woulda thought Thomas would have had a more sensitive reaction than Jordan.

Jordan's speech was horrendous. Classless to the nth degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted