1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Hall of Fame trainwreck ... Peter Vecsey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's the path Doyel will take :)

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Apparently, you weren't at the Super Bowl back when I used to be there. Granted, it's been a few years, but back in the day, the night before the game (when everyone was finally done with all their crap for the week), Mitch would manage to find a piano in the hotel and he'd play while a bunch of reporters sang off-key to whatever oldies we could think of. Mitch could play any tune you could name, just like that. It was uncanny, and lots of fun, too.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Albom collaborated with Warren Zevon, I believe. I think he co-wrote "The Hockey Song," if I'm not mistaken.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As someone who covered an NBA team for nearly a decade, here's what you need to know about Vecsey: He wants your help but he will never help you.

5. wilt100

wilt100 New Member

It is nothing short of amazing to see people who think the NBA started with Michael Jordan ripping a guy like Peter Vecsey. What a complete joke.

Here is a guy who has devoted his life to covering the game, but he gets knocked by people who couldn't hold his jock on his worst day. The reality is that he has forgotten more about basketball than most folks on this board will ever know.

Since when does somebody have to be a nice guy or well-liked to get the job done? Give me a break.

Peter has always done it his way and never kissed anybody's ass. That's why he has enemies.

Over the course of his career he has gotten a lot more stories right than wrong. He isn't afraid to take chances, which sadly separates him from many in the field today. The NY Post, USA TODAY, NBC, TNT, NBA-TV all hired him for a reason.

Read further down on Pearlman's blog and you will see somebody claiming to have sat at Peter's table writing that Jordan left before Peter started speaking, not during the speech.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Fact: Jordan walked out during the speech.
    Fact: Event organizers were wildly giving him the throat-slash-cut sign for at least 15 minutes.
    Fact: Vescey walked up to two of those guys afterward and said, "It's my night. These people were here for me."
    Fact: A way-up-there NBA person said afterward, "He was worse than we even hoped."
    Fact: He was told that an outburst Friday night would get him ejected.

I do agree with Wilt on this point: "Peter Vescey. What a complete joke."

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Old-timers like me remember stickers that said "Accuracy! Accuracy! Accuracy!" on our desks.

Something tells me it does not mean "a lot more stories right than wrong."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess "not afraid to take chances" means willing to publish poorly sourced crap. Bravo!

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

From the descriptions of how bad it was, Vecsey should have turned the tables and walked out on Jordan's speech.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

SO HOW THE HELL DID HE GET IN THE HOF?

No one seems to know.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When Vecsey said on NBC that Jordan's gambling in AC during Knicks playoff series wasn't a story, that should have trashed his HoF -- and journo credentials -- right then and there.

But then, maybe HoF voters were just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks...

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Having never had as much as a passing interest in the NBA, I have no idea who Peter Vescey is.
    Having had a moderate interest in women's hoops, I do know who C. Vivian Stringer is, and the one time I interacted with her came away impressed.
    Seems like I got the best end of the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted