1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Hall of Fame trainwreck ... Peter Vecsey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's my Vecsey story...

I'm at a NBA playoff game about a decade ago. I had never met or spoken to Vecsey before.

He comes over to me in the press room shouting.

"Who the fuck do you think you are reporting something like that? It figures, you're just a kid. I should have known. How could you have written that bullshit. God damn, what a fucking moron."

He storms out of the press room.

I was at the game writing a sidebar and at that point had not ever written a NBA story. I was 23 years old and was a GA/Baseball writer.

Our columnist comes over.

"What'd you do?"
    "Fuck if I know..."

"Have you ever met him before?"
    "No."

Our columnist runs off after him to find out what is going on.

At this point, there is a long line of people I've never met coming up to me telling me stories about what an asshole this guy is, how nobody likes him and how I should have knocked him out.

Our columnist comes back.

"He thought you were someone else."
    "Who did he think I was?
    "He didn't say."

I figured I would get an apology, but didn't.

2. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Doug Collins is turrble and hooorrible, depending on whether you want to reference Barkley or Walton. Just painful to listen to. He's one of those former athlete/coach broadcasters who obviously knows way more about the game than nearly all his viewers but has spent his whole TV career repeating the same 15 or 20 cliched observations.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Don't forget, Marv, the first three minutes of the second half are so important. And a team has to finish strong in the last two minutes.

He says those things every game. Every quarter. Sometimes even combines his favorites to, "Marv, when I coached Michael, he had that instinct to know to take over the last two minutes of a quarter so we'd finish strong."

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My story from way back. Playing in summer hoops league that Vecsey played in. We are playing Vescey's team. Teammate of mind and one of Vecsey's teammates get in aggressive tussle over rebound. Ref blows whistle - Vecsey comes over and slugs our guy in the face. Teammates grab Vecsey and we grab our guy before bedlam ensued. Clearly he was a real hot head on the hoops court.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boom,

Why didn't you punch Vecsey?

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think his writing on today's game has gotten a bit old and the bitterness can overwhelm it - although I'm still a sucker for the nicknames; I can't help it.

Where I do think he's still really good is that he often writes quite extensively about guys from the NBA's past. Whether it's a story on Roy Boe - the old ABA owner - a series of stories on Cotton Fitzsimmons when he was dying, or a story on the Lakers team whose plane crashed, he still does provide stories I don't see anywhere else.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Then there's the story -- I don't know if it's apocryphal or not -- about a pickup game in which Vecsey was on the same team as Albom. Mitch was apparently shooting almost every time down the court, and Vecsey told him that if he took one more jumper, he would bust him in the face. Mitch launched another one on the next possession, and sure enough, Vecsey slugged him. Like I said, I can't vouch for the truthfulness of the story, but it sure sounds in character for both guys.

8. bob

bob Member

I don't even care about his character, which sucks. All I know is that he wrote so much crap over the years that he gave a bad name to the really good journalists. This guy is no Hall of Famer.

9. badmoon

badmoon Member

Can't vouch for that one. Never saw Mitch speak to other reporters, let alone play ball. But I played in a media game during the Finals somewhere in the Bad Boys era in Detroit when Pete and Jere Longman, then of the Philadelphia Inquirer, got into a fist fight. Mike Abdenour, the trainer, came out and cleaned things up. "It's this damn court," he said. There were a lot of fights in Auburn Hills then. Like Pete as an NBA lifer. As a Hall of Famer, don't think so. In fact, it's a joke.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't know the guy, but it sounds very much like they let him in because they were afraid he'd beat them up.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Man, I forgot it was Reilly that broke the story and how he got lambasted by the so-called experts. That was back when Reilly was still the shit. He had a great few years on that back page.

As for Vecsey, as a casual NBA fan, I dig his stuff from time to time. It makes me laugh on occasion. I agree with whomever he said he's great on NBA history. Let's face it, those kind of reporters, the ones who actually knew players, execs, etc. on a personal, even level, are dying out, or are dead.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If the Vecsey punching Albom story is true, it's the only reason I have to like Vecsey.

Draft saved Draft deleted