1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA floppers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 27, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Up until about the early 1980s, the standard response to anybody doing the real air-backstroking flops was, next time or two down court, line 'em up against a pick, then bulldoze them, making extra special sure to leave tire-track footprints right up their chest (double extra bonus if you could bounce their skull off the floorboards too). If you're gonna get called for an offensive foul, might as well get your money's worth.

See the Dave Cowens story above. I believe Kevin Kunnert was the possum-under-the-pickup-truck in that one.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Brad Miller is disappointed he hasn't been mentioned yet. So is Vlade Divac.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Starman, I had to go back and look up it up but it was Houston's Mike Newlin who got hammered by Cowens. Newlin had already drawn two charging fouls on Cowens by flopping. Cowens had had enough and retaliated. He considered flopping to cheating and I have to agree.

While we're at it, Brian Zoubek was a heck of a big-man flopper at Dook.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Most times it is better to call nothing when they flop, especially when the player is backing down into the post.

I have never, ever been knocked backwards on my ass by a player backing me into the post. Just give the offensive player and uncontested shot when the player flops.

Now on a drive to the basket, that is tougher because of all the momentum gained by the offensive player, but those flops don't bother me half as much as the flops defending the post.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Connie Hawkins (ducking, second left) and Dick Van Arsdale (getting hand in the face) consider trying to draw a charge on Wilt Chamberlain, and think better of it, 1969.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen, THAT is why LeBron will never be Jordan. He blatantly flops like a fish, then sheepishly grins as he knows he got away with one.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

ESPECIALLY when someone is backing him down in the post. He chest bumps them and arches his back like he was assaulted, then falls back. And the idiot refs give it to him every time. Like I said, if I were a ref and fell for this, the next time I reffed LeBron I would tell him not to expect to shoot many free throws. And I would tell him why.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Or Sam Bowie. Or Darko Milicic.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There was nothing sheepish about it. He was quite proud of himself.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Seriously? You're talking flopping and no mention of Sleestak Laimbeer?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nice try on the flop at the buzzer of game 2 last night, Wade.

Puss.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Did you see him grab his eye and pout to the official?

Draft saved Draft deleted