1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Finals 1, Delivery Room 0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jun 6, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, shotty, here's the polite version.

So long as LeBron provides for his children financially, statistically he will turn out better than anyone on here has the right to expect their children to turn out. Statistics show that a two-parent household is marginally better for children than a single-parent household. They also show that one or two parents having a shitload of money is the best thing for a kid.

So no matter how hard anyone on here works as a journalist, statistically, LeBron's kids have a better shot a living long, happy lives. So, yeah, I find it a little interesting that people on here fixate on whether the young black man is married or not. Call me crazy.

And, just because you like to throw around the term "PC" doesn't mean it isn't meaningless. Because it is.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

But Phil Mickelson plays an individual sport....it's very different. LeBron's salary is paid by the people of Cleveland, and he's paid quite well to play basketball.....and to miss a game in the Finals? No way.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was merely making the point that this post:

Is essentially meaningless, since no one knows what "PC" or "one-parent kids" means.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

BTW Mickelson didn't even win the U.S. Open title, Payne Stewart did so he wasn't "giving up" anything.

Besides most of the tour pros thought he was full of shit and playing up the whole "carrying around a beeper" to get attention. Whether he was or not we'll never know.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

He still gets paid a lot of money if he misses the game or not.

It really doesn't matter if he's in the actual delivery room. It's about being there. Holding his child for the very first time on its birthday.

Again, it might have been a moot point. There's a fairly good chance luck or an OB's schedule will dictate that the kid is born on a non-gameday.

But the kid will always know: Daddy would've picked a ballgame over you.

I'm so over these dumbass athletes and their dumbass handlers.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This whole debate is predicated on something that is really none of our business. If LeBron and his girlfriend are fine with it, why is this even a topic for debate?

It would be one thing if he was going to miss the game, that would obviously be newsworthy, but he's not missing any games, so why broach the topic?

This is a total non-issue. But it won't stop dipshits and dipshit shows like Cowherd, ATH, et al, to get a segment out of it. No wonder people can't stand the media, some outlets put more value in getting a juicy segment/headline/talk show topic than exercising decent news judgment.

It's a freaking non-story.

8. I guess I have more faith in people. When he made the statement, I figured he meant it.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

sorry......he forfeited the right to skip one of the most important work days of his life when he signed his contract. Regular season game.....of course he should skip it, but the Finals!! No way.

Ya know Luggie, I'm sure the kid will get over it when he's living like a millionaire, looking at the tape of his Dad scoring 45pts and leading the Cavs to a victory in the NBA Finals. Which results in him signing more endorsements, which allows Daddy to buy him even more toys.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He might have meant it when he said it. But he never had to actually do it, so who knows what reality would have been. People say things they mean all the time, but when it comes time to actually have to make the decision, things change.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't get that outlook ... at all.

You'd better believe it'd be more than a non-story if he would MISS a Finals game for this reason. Why wouldn't it be a story when he decides he WON'T miss the game?

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Bubbler and Ashy, respectfully disagree. It's not just about "LeBron and his girlfriend." It's also about the child.

You know, lots of kids are born without their dads there b/c the dads are serving overseas in the military or just by happenstance the dad can't get there. Those things can't be helped.

But LeBron has made a choice. And he's made it before it even had to be made. And he announced it to the world.

I feel bad for the baby. Sorry, I do.

And no, I don't think LeBron's millions assure the kid a happy life. Look at Tony Dungy's kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted