1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Finals 1, Delivery Room 0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jun 6, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Phil Mickleson was prepared to give up a US Open title.

Something just doesn't sit too well with me about this.

We have the black community, very needy for positive father figures, and one of the most admired members of this community is not married and not going to show up when his child is born if it conflicts with his schedule.

No one see anything wrong with this?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Use the button that must-not-be-named on me? :D

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For anyone over 35, were any of our fathers in the delivery room? I doubt my dad was - if he was he never said anything about it.

Much ado about nothing. LeBron isn't even bothered enough to put a ring on her finger and make her an honest woman. So he's at his day job (the one that brings home the bacon - and then some) when the kid is born. He wouldn't be the first.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, a Cleveland athlete planning a birth at the time the championship of their sport will be held. What an idiot!

Millions of children have been born without the father in the delivery room. I have a feeling everything will be just fine.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So he said. Did he? Situation didn't present itself.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

What about inducing labor on an off-day? Is this not an option?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

LeBron doesn't represent an entire race any more than Tiger Woods, say, if he were to skip a tournament to be there to witness his first born (yes, he's mixed race, but you get my point). They ought not to consider their race when making a decision that concerns them and them alone.

8. You saying Mickelson was full of shit?

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm 38. My dad was at home, asleep on the couch, when I was born. My mom was in labor for a long time and he went home for a few hours sleep. My mom didn't have a problem with that and neither do I.

As for LeBron, this is between his fiancee and him. I agree with sportschick said: what counts is what kind of father he is, not whether he's in the delivery room or not.

Also - Pastor mentioned inducing. The hot thing in the wealthy suburbs here is planned inductions. One of the area's top OBs only delivers babies on one day of the week. It's kind of sick, but the mommies schedule their inductions for that day.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's not out Makin' It Rain when the kid'll be born.

He's at his J-O-B. With the livelihoods of a lot of his co-workers depending on him.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm older than 35 and my dad wasn't present for my birth because he wasn't allowed. I could tell he was jealous that I was able to be present for my kids births.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It seems to me that some are so anxious to put sports "in their place" here, they lose focus.

What LeBron James is going to do in the next two weeks affects more than him. There are many, many people who are strongly affected by it, whether we like it or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted