1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Finals 1, Delivery Room 0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Eh ... whatever he/she thinks

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Frankly, it's none of our business what he does. That's between him and his girlfriend.

Having said that, that's his loss if he doesn't get to be there for the birth of one of his kids. I can't think of anything that would have kept me from being there for the birth of my two kids. I also think it's important to be there for the moral support of your wife, or in this case girlfriend.

In addition, the second birth can be MUCH tougher than the first one in many cases and certainly in the case of my wife.

Hopefully the baby will decide to come out during an off day of the series in Cleveland.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm really taking some of this from Cowherd's take, which is one of his few I agree with in recent memory.

Would WE be in the delivery room? Sure we would.

We also aren't making $8 million, with the chance of making $25 million if we bring this title home. We don't have a good part of a nation casting one eye toward what I'm doing in my profession for the next two weeks.

Different circumstances, different realities.

ALSO ... if anything goes awry during that delivery, you, the man, are going to be asked to leave the room anyway. YOU'RE not going to be the one pulling her through it ... the doctor will be.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Absolutely.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So long as he provides for the child once it is born, it's really between him and his girlfriend.

Shawn Kemp, I'm looking in your direction...

6. Exactly, shottie. I'm only speaking for myself.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Smoking all the while. And ready to pass out cigars upon the birth; real cigars, not the mamby, pamby chocolate or bubble gum cigars like today.

On the issue at hand, if it were me, I'd leave it to the lady going through the pain to decide.

if you go by where his presence is more needed, he's playing hoops :D

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What's more important than your kid?

He'd potentially only have to miss one game of a best of 7.

The least he could do is not make his intentions clear one way or the other... because what if the kid is born on a non-gameday?

"You were born on an off day during the NBA Finals. But Daddy said he was willing to miss your birth."

Dumbass.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Now THAT'S the Luggie we love!

:)

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So long as she's OK with it, the NBA Finals. But she would have to OK it.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My biological father missed my birth to watch the Cowboys on TV at the bar (I was born in September, so not an important game). I don't hold that against him. His leaving my mother when I was 9 months old, his non-payment of child support, his preference for his step-children over his biological ones, that's what I hold against him.

It's not whether or not he's there for his kid's birth, it's whether or not he's a good father, and being there for your kid's birth doesn't automatically make you a good father.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, if you're going to bring perspective into this, we just don't know WHAT we're going to do with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted