1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA fans on press row?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FireJimTressel.com, Oct 20, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm no longer a sports writer so i can see this issue from both sides. obviously teams can sell those seats for a fortune. but it's also important to get media coverage even if teams think most newspapers are irrelevant. so what is the ideal solution that would make both sides happy? media in a couple rows behind each basket instead of on the sideline?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

syracuse was as bad as i've seen

i've been other places where we're up, and while not my favorite, you can still see the court. at georgetown, there's one row of people in front of you, but they're told not to stand and they didn't. so it was fine. at louisville, they put fans at the end of the press table. those bastards would pound on the table and spill beer on it. great stuff.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wasn't Kentucky the first school to do this?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't know what you can do about the colleges but I remember a time (OK, it was the 70s) when the professional basketball writers association fought the teams on this ... particularly the Lakers at the old Forum in Inglewood when they decided to sell celeb seats and move the press up to a hockey press box betwen the second and third level.
    The writers actually won and the league (Larry O"Brien was commish) issued an order that there had to be a certain number of seats at a table exclusively for working media at courtside every game.
    As I recall, one of the most vocal leaders of this fight was a rather young Boston beat writer named Bob Ryan.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've sat at that same seat in Freedom Hall at Louisville. Other than the fact it's so far down the one side of the court it's not that bad a seat, and I've never had any problems with fans.

I know Wisconsin has booted all its media upstairs to the hockey pressbox for the first time this season.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I actually don't have a problem with not sitting on the front row. I understand that money rules all, so if you move all of us up, whatever.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Way to fight the good fight.

I'm still on the floor, but I have a feeling I'd better enjoy it while it lasts.

8. CoopGator

CoopGator New Member

I know this is primarily for the print folk, but team radio is getting pushed off the floor as well. 18 of the 30 NBA teams have moved us to the back of the lower bowl or a little higher. As I tell people "It's a great place to broadcast a hockey game." Completely different perspective, and especially difficult when trying to find out on whom officials have called fouls, among other things

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'd rather fight for something like the absolute shitty access the football portion of my beat offers me rather than whether I sit on the first row or the 15th. Sorry bub.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The school I cover got rid of press row completely -- donate 5 figures to the athletic department and you can sit in chairs where the press once sat. We are in the bleachers underneath the basket. Classy operation.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

If Bob Knight goes for the record at home, that's a recipe for disaster. Texas Tech has a beautiful arena, but they've got the media shoehorned into a little corner of the upper deck. It's not going to be pretty.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so i'll pose this question again: what is your solution? teams aren't going to give up pursuit of the almighty dollar so put press back on press row isn't the solution. what is?

Draft saved Draft deleted