1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Editor/USA TODAY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by qantas25, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

But when that SE wants to become an ME and learns that they're determined to promote/hire for diversity, he whines like a baby. Same with the ME aspiring to be EE. That's where they're all big phonies.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

That's the funny part. We read about there only being X number of minority sports editors in the country, but there's nothing any of us can do about that. That's a problem from above.
    And wasn't the previous NBA editor white?

3. Joe Williams

Oscar Dixon was the previous NBA editor, who left recently for an AP job in Atlanta, IIRC.
    His former bosses seem to believe that the position can only be helmed by another person of color.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

well, I usually don't care who's brought in, as long as they don't fuck it up. Though, it looks like this one isn't gettin filled anyway.

5. donaugust

donaugust Member

This is USA Today people -- every sports hiring takes months, whether it's agate, desk, writer or editor.

6. Joe Williams

Should start losing steam. But will it?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Dude, are you a fuckn idiot?
    I normally don't come after anyone on these threads, but have you been to an APSE convention? It's full of white men.
    Sure, there's progress, but give me a fuckin break.
    You fire off a bunch of papers with minority sports editors, but that doesn't even total the number of sports editors in most states.
    assklown!

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Grifter, you're quite the wordsmith.

I'm a member of a couple of minority groups, so maybe I see some things you don't see.

I see a clear trend in recent years to give journalists of color and women and other minorities a huge chance when a top sports editor job opens.

When one of the "white guys" you mention stumbles or retires or gets out of the business, it's often a minority who steps in. I'm talking about the last five years or so, as I said in my post.

You also might be dealing in a lot of stereotypes. Those "white men" you casually dismiss include Hispanics and gays.

That's all part of diversity.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Damn, my bad on the rip last night. Must have been the coffee.
    But there aren't as many opportunities as you think. From what I understand, while there is a drive to hire minorities for some of these positions, many editors, myself included, simply don't know where to look for QUALIFIED minority candidates.
    And two friends of mine even said they removed groups like NAHJ and NABJ from their resumes out of fear of being labeled a minority hire.
    Yes, it's getting better, but anything is an improvement over the figures released two years.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This job was reposted on the USAT jobs board last week.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

way to get this one back on point.

12. Joe Williams

Nice to see that they'll fill this job (maybe) some weeks or months after the NBA Finals. When it was open before the All-Star break.

At least whoever gets it will go in knowing how the pension plan has been jacked with.

Draft saved Draft deleted