1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Editor/USA TODAY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by qantas25, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I know they had two pretty good candidates in recently, including one from the AJC. I wonder what happened there?

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Still posted on USA Today site. Any updates on who might fill it?

3. edsev

edsev New Member

Friend of a friend says they're still taking resumes and conducting interviews.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

why is this one so difficult to fill??

5. Joe Williams

Am told they're limiting themselves to an artificially small talent pool.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

artificially small?

7. Joe Williams

Diversity. Candidates. Only.

(Seems like some sort of stereotype, though, if you ask me.)

8. Joe Williams

Why don't they just put that in the posting, then? Or do they feel it's something to keep hush-hush and maybe even deny if called on it? If they're embarrassed about saying, up front, that they're going to fill this job according to skin color, then maybe they shouldn't be doing that in the first place. That's like getting in the wayback machine and dialing up the 1950s.

Has USA Today approached other positions this way? Do they really think this is OK, or even right-minded?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is limiting the candidate pool a good way of letting the position stay dark without saying as much.

10. Joe Williams

Interesting theory, but in this climate, I would think it's easier to 'fess up that a position is going unfilled for economic reasons than to risk the bad PR that could come -- should come -- from screening candidates according to race.

11. It probably has something to do with the number of black editors and reporters who took the buyouts last year. That got mentioned prominently in one article reporting on the buyouts. You would think that they'd have a huge applicant pool for any position and would easily be able to find a qualified candidate who fits whatever criteria they have in mind.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

What bad PR? This is done all the time at papers all over the country and nobody blinks. Indeed, many will praise them for doing this, assuming it is true.

As you said, it shouldn't be that way, but there it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted