1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 20, 2013.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Noel is four inches shorter than Mutombo. I don't see him dominating a game at 6' 10" like Mutombo could. I am not familar with Larry Sanders and can not comment on his game (I know he plays for the Bucks but have never watched him play).

I think Noel is another Sam Bowie. A reach. Not that big for a center and skinny. Also has no offensive game. He will not be able to block the shots of an NBA shooting guard like he could of a guard in the SEC.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think Zeller will be as good as his brother, Tyler, in the long run.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Bowie was similarly a great big, but in that instance Portland should have looked at the huge red flags attached to the guy that had suffered four or five broken legs dating back to high school. If he'd been healthy he'd've been a dominant center, but as it turned out he needed a double bone graft just to get his legs to the point where they could take the pounding of basketball.

If Noel has anyone heavier than 235 guarding him he won't be a low post option. When he gets to the NBA he's going to be a skinny PF whose primary strengths are going to be his length, quickness and ability to get off the floor quickly. Not his post game. And I doubt his post defense as he's far more valuable as a primary help defender than as a post defender. And his coaches are going to tell him to focus on his defense and rebounding and turning himself into an impact roleplayer. (And those were my actual words, roleplayer doesn't mean bench player, and an impact roleplayers are extremely valuable. Ben Wallace, for example, was an impact roleplayer. Tony Allen is an impact roleplayer. Larry Sanders looks to be turning into an impact roleplayer.)

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Are you aware that Zeller just frickin dazzled in the speed, agility and vertical leap drills at the combine a few days ago? Indeed recording the best numbers of anyone over 6'9" in the last two decades?

You are often wrong about many things, Devil, and you'll be wrong about this as well. Zeller is far ahead of where his brother Tyler was at the same age, and he'll be a better pro "in the long run" as well.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd take Oladipo first overall.

I'll be happy if he's around for the Lakers.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I cannot imagine a scenario where he falls out of the lottery.

I wonder if LeBron is going to want to join Irving and Noel in Cleveland when he becomes a free agent.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I doubt he lasts until pick 48.

8. JackReacher

If the Cavs have a scouting department worth a shit, this could be a big draft for them despite everyone calling it a shitty draft class. They have picks 1, 19, 31, and 33.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fucking Lakers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

And they have nothing to show for trading away all those picks. I can't remember the exact deals, but I remember Ramon Sessions was involved in one of those lost first rounders. I'm assuming Nash was as well.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The greatest thing, if the Lakers would not have made the playoffs and been first-round cannon fodder they would have kept their pick. It was lottery protected.

When you look at what Cleveland has been able to do, especially what they got for LeBron from Miami just so the Heat could give him a max contract, it isn't that bad. Yes, you lost LeBron but they got Miami's first rounder this year, which they then swapped to the Lakers for the #19 in the Sessions deal, get another Miami first rounder either in 2015, 16 0r 17 (when, I might add, Miami might not be very good) and used the assets from the trade last year to move up to draft Tyler Zeller. Plus, they have a ton of cap flexibility for next summer's free agent frenzy.

I don't think LeBron is coming back to Cleveland, but they may be close to where they might be able to contend without him.

PG - Kyrie Irving
    SG - Deion Waiters
    SF - Tristan Thompson
    PF - Noel
    C - Anderson Varejao

That is not a bad squad to throw out there every night. They also, at 19, might be able to pick up a shooter like the kid from Cal. They have a decent bench if they resign Speights and keep Ellington around, along with Zeller. They also have a couple of high second rounders they could try to package with the #19 to move up into the lottery this year and grab an Olidipo or Porter.

Things are looking up in Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

Nah. They'll find some way to screw it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted