1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 20, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's definitely not a great draft, but I don't think too many teams would be disappointed to take McLemore or Porter or Oladipo.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Because when there's not a sure-fire No. 1 you draft based on need. So if you need someone with his skill set (definitely a solid defensive big whose offensive game might need a lot of work at the next level), you'll want to trade up for him.

3. amraeder

I'd be quite happy if the Cavs could land Porter or Oladipo.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. I feel the same way about the Kings... I think there is a big drop after the top four (Noel, McLemore, Porter and Oladipo... Trey Burke maybe...

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Geez, I think Noel is the sure-fire No. 1 in this draft, isn't he? It's a weak one because most college players with a pulse either tried to get into last year's, and there is a crop of talent that looks really good for the 2014 draft. But if you're at or near 7-feet with a defensive pedigree, you can play forever in the NBA, even with a spotty offensive game. (And even when it comes to that, at the NBA level you can get by with a big man that just sets picks, hits FTs okay enough to avoid being Hack A Shaq'ed, and makes his dunks / putbacks.) The league is always looking for athletic 7-footers, to the point where guys like Marcus Camby and Rasheed Wallace are still gainfully employed, while most of their guard and forward contemporaries are retired.

The only team that won't take him at 1 is maybe the Hornets / Pelicans, since they have Anthony Davis, and I imagine there would be interest if they wanted to move the No. 1 pick.

6. amraeder

Maybe I should have said sure-fire franchise player instead of sure-fire No. 1. The point being, unlike some other drafts, teams will be more willing to listen to trades out of the No. 1 slot (and, again, not based on any inside knowledge, just recapping a column I read that I don't have time to find).

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'll e-bet a hundred bucks that the pick isn't traded.

People talk that way all the time, usually the people who hold the #1 pick and want to create a market for it.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Roy Hibbert is making Nerlens Noel a lot of money.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

So who does everybody think will go No. 2?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the #1 pick this year, may not be as good as the 4 or 5 player next year. Trade down to get a possible lottery pick next year

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds great.

But nobody wants to trade up.

That's how guys like Alex Smith go #1.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hahahaha I was just about to post this. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted