1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft Signings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by greenlantern, Aug 16, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Does anyone know of any 2009 NBA first-round draft picks that haven't signed a contract other than Ricky Rubio?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How does this Rubio thing work? I mean, will he be a free agent when he decides to enter the NBA in the future? How long does Minny hold his rights?

Anyone know?

3. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Under the contract he just agreed to in Europe, Rubio can enter the NBA for the 2011-2012 season at which point, Minny will still hold his draft rights. There is a limit as to how long the Wolves have those rights if Rubio does not enter the NBA at that point. How long though, I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Minnesota holds his rights indefinitely. I know some of the European players who have been drafted have waited a couple years before coming here and the team that drafted them retains their rights. I think Peja Stojakovic stayed in Greece for 2-3 years before signing with the Kings awhile back and I know there have been plenty of similar cases.

I don't think this is a case where he can re-enter the draft.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to this story, the T-Wolves hold his rights for one year after his Spanish contract expires (in other words, through the 2011-12 season):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4437300

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the Blazers held Sabonis' rights for about 23 years. (I think it was closer to nine.)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was awhile. That's the only fair way to do it.

8. Steak Snabler

True, but that was several collective bargaining agreements ago ...

And to answer the original question, Victor Claver (22nd pick, Portland) and Christian Egenya (30th pick, Cleveland) are both unsigned as well. Like Rubio, they are both playing in Spain and have no plans to play in the NBA any time soon.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

and after that, does he become a free agent or re-enter the draft?

10. Steak Snabler

Good question. I don't know ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Are you sure it's only through 2011-2012? His deal in Spain allows him to leave for the NBA after two years, but it's actually a six-year deal. Do they hold the rights through the six years, or just a year after he's eligible to come to America?

12. Steak Snabler

Could be. I don't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted