1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

He did rely on being stronger than the other guards to have success in the Pac-10, but the jumper is pretty damn good. Hit 40 percent of treys as a freshman and that slipped to 35 as a sophomore, largely because he was wearing two defenders almost every night. Really slowed down late last year, which probably had something to do with the fact that Sendek rode his ass like a mule to the tune of 35 mpg.

You make a good point about his getting into the lane in college and how it won't happen in the NBA. That's when he'll have to fall back on the mid-range game, so we'll see. I have long admitted to a man-crush on Harden, but to me, the guy is just a really good basketball player, kind of the way Brandon Roy was when he came out of Washington. That has to count for something.

Biggest busts: Thabeet and Jordan Hill. Big men with suspect feet always get this honor.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What is the over/under on Jennings draft position and his move to Europe being a bad decision?

I just saw a mock draft of him landing at 19. If that is the case, then Europe was a bad decision. If he is as good as people said he was coming out of high school, I would think a lottery selection would have happened.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think one of the guys at SI was saying how Jennings might fall to Philly at 17; that his stock is falling fast today.

Funny how he's one of the premier guards in the draft yesterday, yet today, he's crap.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Blowing off the European Pre-Draft workout didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Lester Bangs

Yeah, but either way he would have been exposed, and since he didn't make it into school. You think he should have just sat out a year? Will be interesting if anybody ever tries that. For him, he got big money in Europe and now he'll get three years guaranteed, so it's hard to say it was a bad decision ... unless he falls out of the first round.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

See Thabeet as more likely to turn into a Mutumbo than a Darko. Which wouldn't be all bad, but certainly not worthy of the no. 2 pick.

On the flip side, the team that grabs Lawson is getting a bigtime bargain.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I think Flynn is going to be a huge steal for someone.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure where Jennings was projected as a draft prospect out of HS. But, regardless, that all depends on how his year of college would've gone. From what I've read, his time in Europe exposed problems with his decision-making skills with the ball. In HS he could just blow by guys and drive to the hoop whenever he wanted, but had trouble adjusting his game against the higher level of competition. Well, those are the exact same sort of flaws that likely would've been exposed playing a year of Divison 1 basketball.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good analogy on Thabeet ... he has great instincts around the basket defensively.

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I see Thabeet as more of a Sam Dalembert.

If teams believed that Thabeet was the second coming of Mutumbo, there would be a lot more interest in him.

As it is, I see him going #2 regardless, just for the chance that he turns into Mutumbo.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can't remember who it was, but some current or former coach -- I'm guessing former -- said today on the Dan Patrick Show that he'd take Thabeet number one overall ahead of Griffin.

12. Lester Bangs

Any NBA team, if it could break out the tea leaves and see that Thabeet=Mutombo, would probably spend the No. 1 overall pick on him and certainly the No. 2. His career numbers don't look good because he hung out for about seven years longer than he should have, but the first 10 years he was a double-double every night and one of the game's great defenders.

If five guys in this draft have a Mutombo-like career, it will be remembered as a very good talent pool.

I like the Thabeet-Dalembert comparison. Very similar players.

Draft saved Draft deleted