1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Was Jamison a good shooter coming out of college? I didn't think so.

Seems to me like more of a bigger version of Battier if he makes it.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jamison certainly wasn't the 3 point machine that he is now. But I think that he had 15-18 foot range at UNC. Battier isn't a great comparison because he is and was a great defender and a much better player off the ball than Tyler H.

3. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

It's always been my contention that if you're spending four years in college in this day and age, you're really not all that good. Hansbrough is the prime example.

I'm sure people will yell at me that Tim Duncan did four years, but what was that? 13 years ago now? No one of Duncan's caliber has done it since.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's amusing how --- in a game that's 80% black --- when comparing a white person to another player, the comparisons always tilt to the other 20%.

Or did no black players perform outstanding in college and fail to achieve that same level in the pros? ;)

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Marcus Fizer had a great college career but didn't do much in the pros. Undersized at any position is a challenge unless you compensate with quickness or play point guard anyway.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Speaking of Antawn Jamison being a three point machine, now that the Wizards have Mike Miller to go with Arenas and Caron Butler, what are the odds that they try to play a similar style to that of the Magic?

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Centered around the dominant inside game of Brendan Haywood.

8. As for the Kevin Love question, that's a terrible comparison. Love is light years a better player than hansbrough will ever be in the league. First off, he's a legitimate 6-10, and a legit four. Secondly, Love has two tangible, very tangible, nba skills. He's a great rebounder, and he's a good shooter with three-point range, and Hansbrough, at that level, has neither attribute.

Hansbrough's game at the college level was predicated on throwing himself into defenders and getting calls, and getting to the foul line. In his sophomore year, he played against Roy Hibbert and completely bombed because of hibbert's size and length. And I saw that repeatedly. Anytime he played against size, length and athleticism, he struggled. For example, watch the Clemson game film. Those guys bothered him his entire career. He did develop a mid-range jumper, but his mechanics, he shoots from his chest, lead me to believe that he'll have trouble even getting that off in the league. He's not athletic, not a great rebounder, not a shot blocker.

He's a slightly more talented Mark Madsen.

Why is this even a thread? The dude isn't a good prospect.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Love is also a very good passer.

10. yea, I forgot about that. Love is a wonderful passer, and can score with his back to the basket. Comparing Love and Hansbrough had me laughing my ass off.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Some folks can't handle any UNC player not being hyped as the greatest ever.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's sort of the point I was making. I never thought sean May was all that good, yet he managed to be drafted in the first round and hang on for at least, what, three years now (or is it four?).

That says to me either (1) some team made a terrible pick or (2) the draft class was so incredibly weak that there weren't 15 better players available. It was like picking teams on the playground back in middle school. You keep calling names til everyone is picked.

Draft saved Draft deleted