1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, May 22, 2007.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It would still be a shitty system. But I'd be happy with the shitty system.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Since when is baseball more relevant than the NBA and based on what?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sam Bowie. The pick that will live in infamy.

4. zagoshe

That basically means they will get a lottery pick because as long as Billy Knight is the man in charge of putting together the Hawks, that team will continue to suck.

I'm sure whoever the best 6-foot-8 non-shooting slasher is on the board, Knight will pick even though that team already has about nine players that fit that profile....

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

OUTING ALERT!!!! Sports Guy makes his true persona known.

6. zagoshe

And really that is the ultimate hind sight is 20/20 and unfair to that franchise because Portland actually made the pick that made the most sense for their team. They already had Drexler, they needed a center/big man not a shooting guard.

And anyone who can say based on his college career that they thought Jordan would become, well, Jordan is lying to you.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yi Jianlian's not walking through that door. Brandan Wright's not
    walking through that door.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Actually, the people who worked out the draftees were absolutely begging the GM to take Jordan. The basketball people were tearing their hair out over the Bowie pick. Somehow it's become legend that the pick made some sense at the time. It didn't to the people in Portland who had actually seen them play and worked out with the players. Ask Kermit Washington, who worked out Jordan and pleaded with the team not to make a huge mistake.

9. zagoshe

I remember a cover story on "Sport" magazine, that once-monthly publication that I believe is dead -- with a headline about how Portland did the right thing in picking Bowie.

They already had Drexler, had they not taken Bowie, Jordan would not have been the guy who they would have taken. Many in Portland were worried about Bowie being brittle, which he turned out to be.

10. There's a new book out about the 1984 draft by Filip Bondy. Anyone had a chance to read it yet?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The exact quotes I'm sure are off, but the meaning is the same.

NBA scout: So you do like on your team (1984 Olympic team)?

Coach Knight: I think this Jordan kid is special.

NBA scout: Well we are really looking to go with a center or an inside player.

Coach Knight: OK, play him at center.

I remember watching Jordan at UNC when I was 11, and even then I knew this guy was just playing in another league.

Does anyone remember UVA at UNC, Carolina down 18 or so, but Michael leads them back? With four fouls he turns a one-man press on the UVA point guard (Othella Wilson, maybe?) and picks him in the backcourt for a break away dunk for the lead. Carmichael's got sorta loud after that. Then with UVA's last possession Jordan outjumps Ralph for the defensive rebound.

You did not need to see any more film than that. Jordan was the #1 pick.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Now that the Celtics are totally screwed, they should grab Conley with the No. 5 pick.
    He's not a big man, but he is going to be one hell of a point guard.

Draft saved Draft deleted