1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA draft logo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Sorry if this has already been addressed. The NBA draft logo has a line "presented by Sprite." How are you folks handling it? My inclination is to crop the line out. Sprite may be paying the NBA a lot, but they're not paying my paper anything.

2. txscoop

txscoop Member

good point.. I'd crop it out. But I don't make those calls.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Treat it the way you treat a NASCAR Race. The Pepsi Podunk 500 or the Podunk 500? Same thing, no?

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I cut it out in Freehand.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ungroup it in Freehand.

Select. Delete. Select. Delete.

Goodbye advertiser who isn't paying my paper one cent.

I would do that with NASCAR races if they called it "The Firecracker 400 Presented by Pepsi."

But since it's called "Pepsi 400" . . . there's not much you can do.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sprite did not make into my rag.

7. Widow

Widow New Member

Just a question, but does anyone see a problem with manipulating copyrighted logos and then publishing them? Of course they aren't paying your paper anything; they aren't sponsoring your paper. They are sponsoring the draft, and if the logo includes that, are you really at liberty to start editing it to your liking? If you have a serious problem with it, why not scrap the logo all together? Just wondering.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Sprite sued my paper, there wouldn't be a judge or jury in the world who would find for the plaintiff.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Playing devil's advocate, though, would you photoshop out Sprite logos that show up in photos you take? Would you photoshop out the company Coca-Cola from a giant glove in the outfield of a baseball stadium?

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

In all honesty, I do think it's a really slippery slope to be altering images like this.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you have to be kidding me.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

To an extent, yes. I'm trying to spark a discussion on the topic of altering images.

So would you photoshop out Sprite logos that show up in photos your paper takes?

Draft saved Draft deleted