1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA draft for Oden AND Conley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Conley doesn't strike me as an incompetent boob. He strikes me as a guy who's going to be looking out for his kid and his kid's best friend. Sure, he'll be making money off doing so, but I'd want to do the same thing for my son if I were in his shoes. Keep it in the family, ala Tony Soprano.

2. Young Conley's stock will never be higher, especially if Oden leaves. As for NCAA regulation, well, the phrase "jump up my ass" comes immediately to mind.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't know. If I wanted to start a Suns-type drive a kick offense, he would be the first guy I would look at. Always finds the open man and does not turn the ball over at all.

Now if he could just shoot...

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

... and everyone in Memphis lets out a big sigh of relief.

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Gotta remember that Conley Sr. spent many years making his shoe deals and dealing with European meet promoters during his track career. He's no neophyte.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ABC, it's as simple as FKUBTS.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i love too much.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I thought one prerequisite to having your own sports web site would be knowing something about sports.

10. SportBlogNow

SportBlogNow Member

It's all about the money. Instead of paying x% to an agent, Connely and Oden get to keep it in the family.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's a desperate grab to be first on a story that it's kind of hard to be wrong on; the likelihood that Oden goes pro always has been extremely high. So you find the first source who can to say it and sound remotely credible, even if that source has zero involvement in the process.
    That's the whole point Oz -- you don't know what the deal here is. No reason you should. Lots of people in the media biz don't, which is why they jumped all over this story. That's what makes it so distasteful.

12. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

In this case, the writer is credible as well. He broke all of the major stories on Oden in high school, including the biggie when Oden picked Ohio State.

Draft saved Draft deleted