1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA coverage in podunk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Jan 16, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I've known people who are in deep debt, in the ghetto, in bumblefuck nowhere and all those people seem to have internet access. It's really hilarious in some ways. I guess it's cable TV. It's seen as more of a necessity and a luxury.
    As far as the NBA/NHL, I wouldn't run boxscores especially with less and less space to go around. I probably wouldn't run roundups on either. If I had a team nearby, I might put a box with scores from the night and a couple of items: a magic number, a quotable, a news item or a "player of the night." It could be something fun for the readers while getting the basic information, which is who won that night. I don't think someone cares that Peter Forsberg scored two goals against the Islanders or Peter Bondra had a goal and an assist against the Wild. But if it was Bondra's 500th goal and Forsberg scored four seconds into the game, that's different.
    I agree that anyone who cares is going to look it up on the internet before the paper comes.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We do a tabloid page each day, packaging the boxscores with the roundup. Never considered anything less or more, and we run 16-28 tab pages daily. Same thing with NHL ... although there's been more lip service given whether that's a worthwhile effort.

And we're 2 hours from Philly, 3 from DC.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We're 3 hours from the closest NBA team, but it's in state, so we run a game story, except when they play on the West Coast, along with every NBA box before deadline and usually a notes package. Overkill, in my opinion, but it fills space.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We run the NBA standings every day, leaders when we've got room, but no roundup. We only run a Bulls box, and when we had a guy from the area playing in the league we ran that team's box when he played.

When the playoffs start, we'll run a small daily roundup. Conference finals get a separate story, then the Finals go out front.

5. scribe21

scribe21 Member

Just run NBA standings, until the playoffs and generally run stories then. No complaints from my readers. .. Finals are a big deal. Hockey basically dead around here. ...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When space permits, we run a full NBA / NHL combo page. When Stars or Mavs play, they go on the cover (unless they're on the coast and coming in late). Rockets and Spurs usually lead the roundup inside. When we don't have space, we just go with agate.

Draft saved Draft deleted