1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA coverage in podunk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Got a question about NBA coverage...

Just wondering how much medium sized and smaller dailies in Podunk USA go with NBA coverage.
    Daily roundups? Game stories on the closest NBA team?

I was just wondering because we run little on the NBA. We're in the middle of nowhere in Ohio at a small paper with a circ of 25,000.

We run the big NBA news. But there are some days if the Cavs don't play where we don't run anything but the standings. But 5 of 6 days we are flush with local copy.

Have never heard any complaints so I'm starting to wonder if anyone outside of the coasts and big urban centers even care about the NBA (or NHL for that matter besides maybe the upper Midwest).

What about it?
  2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

we do daily roundups, and maybe a bigger story if the Heat ( I am in Florida) do something big.
  3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We rarely run a roundup, fill mostly with local, run the boxes if we have room. College is more of our thing at out 13,000 daily.

BTW, are you in Sandusky?
  4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Mooninite, we too don't run much either. We are in Texas, so we try and run briefs on the three Texas teams and standings. We never run roundups or boxes that I've seen. Though, I guess during the holidays someone may have gotten desperate, but I don't think so.
    At my old shop in a non-NBA state we ran full boxes, standings and roundups. As for why, I don't know.
  5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

We're two hours from the closest NBA team. we run nba standings and boxes, and if something major happens. No roundups. rarely does anybody complain.
    We run the NHL standings. again, hardly hear complaints.
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All hail, king of podunk...
  7. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

We run all NBA boxes, expanded glance and gamers from the teams of local interest. For Hockey, just standings and gamers of local interest, but they're given lower priority. I'm at a 13,000 daily.
  8. WSKY

WSKY Member

It's probably done because it's easy to fill space that way. In my opinion, it's a waste, because most people could care less about some teams, but maybe more about some of the regional ones. To run boxes on all is retarded. No one reads them.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

WSKY? No one reads box scores? In what universe? I'd bet there's a significant percentage of readers of all sports sections who read nothing BUT the top sports' box scores.
  10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

At small papers where space is tight, why run box scores at all when the box scores are online 20 minutes after the game is complete?

The fans who want the box score will find them the night after the game.

Maybe I'm assuming everyone has the internet.
  11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

At a 15,000 daily we run roundups, w/art if team 3 hours away plays, and standings in agate.
  12. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

I'm in Ontario, so all NBA stuff goes in agate, (scores and skeds). We also use the CP Raptor stories.
    We used to do a roundup during the regular season but it was cut last year. Zero complaints,
Draft saved Draft deleted