1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Coach of the Year George Karl -- Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm curious, why has Shaw emerged as this superhot coaching commodity? He has zero head coaching experience, completely unproven, yet what I've been reading makes it sound like teams are lining up in a bidding war to try to get him.

Yet, oddly, I don't recall hearing this Shaw buzz last year, yet he's the same thing this year that he was last: an assistant on a winning team. What exactly changed in the last 365 days to suddenly make him the supertrendy hot choice?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's been passed over before because he's a true believer in the triangle offense. Pretty much everyone in basketball doesn't view the triangle as a viable system, but rather an effective "offense" to run with a talent like Jordan or Kobe, since it tends to devolve into isolations for those guys in crunch time anyway. When teams have tried to run it without an elite ball hog, it doesn't work as well.

That's why I could see Phil Jackson taking over a team as club president, then hiring Shaw. Therefore, if he wins, he proves he can run an entire franchise and validates the triangle at the same time. Clippers as a fit? I think that the triangle could work with the ball in Paul's hands, Griffin in the high post and Bledsoe playing the Ron Harper role.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Shaw is potentially good head coach in this respect -- he knows how to get inside the heads of players and motivate them. Shaw is widely credited with helping Paul George make the transition from nervous rookie to budding superstar, and prodding along Roy Hibbert's development.

4. LarryCathey

LarryCathey Member

Detroit had the same core and coach.
    [/quote]

Detroit had two different teams led by two different coaches.

The first group: Thomas, Dumars, Aguirre, V. Johnson, Rodman, Salley, Rodman, Buddah Edwards, Laimbeer, who who were coached by Chuck Daly and a few assistants who moved on to real jobs.

The second group: Billiups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace, Wallace, McDyess, Darko, Campbell, Arroyo, who were coached by mercenary Larry Brown.

No worries, just wanted to point out the difference.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Detroit had two different teams led by two different coaches.

The first group: Thomas, Dumars, Aguirre, V. Johnson, Rodman, Salley, Rodman, Buddah Edwards, Laimbeer, who who were coached by Chuck Daly and a few assistants who moved on to real jobs.

The second group: Billiups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace, Wallace, McDyess, Darko, Campbell, Arroyo, who were coached by mercenary Larry Brown.

No worries, just wanted to point out the difference.
    [/quote]right, brain lock on Browns team. Fml

Draft saved Draft deleted