1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA/Cavs Writer -- The Athletic Cleveland

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jason Lloyd, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Jason Lloyd

Jason Lloyd New Member

We are hiring a Cavs writer in Cleveland. The official posting is below. The new hire will take over for me. I'm sliding into a new role, but will still be around the team quite often writing columns, takeouts and helping with the transition. Happy to answer whatever questions I can. We're casting a wide net, but we will move quickly. Thanks.

The Athletic Cleveland is looking for an NBA writer to cover the Cleveland Cavaliers. We want someone willing to take chances, someone who will look left when everyone else is looking right.

We won’t judge you based on the number of stories you produce in a week and you’ll never have to put together a slideshow. We want you to develop sources and gain the trust of the organization by being honest, straightforward and fair. A decent amount of travel is required. This is a franchise in transition. We will focus more on the great feature and the “what’s it all mean?” pieces more than news updates about sprained ankles and strained hamstrings.

Simply put: We want you to find great stories and write them well, wherever they take you.

The previous beat writer is remaining on staff and will be available to help during the transition. Some experience covering a professional team is preferred, but not required. We are open to a wide range of candidates.

Please send resume and clips to Editor Jason Lloyd (jlloyd@theathletic.com) and Managing Editor Ron Ledgard (rledgard@theathletic.com).

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Jason, thank you for posting this job ad and for being willing to cast a wide net.

Draft saved Draft deleted