1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA All-Star game: White men can't root

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 18, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I haven't been to an NBA game in, oh, 20 years I think, but it almost sounds like I'll need to go through a separate gate and sit in the "whites only" section.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is the funniest fucking thing I've seen posted here in ages.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good luck finding a non-white face in the crowd at Fenway Park.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

At least you're stupid enough to admit that you're a racist. You're special, Mark.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cheryl Miller's outfit @ the Skills Night on TNT tonight is not putting to rest the notion that the NBA caters to African-American audiences.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretend I didn't watch the event and would have run away from the TV so I didn't see Cheryl Miller.
    Do tell.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fine. A lot has changed in 20 years anyway. I never expected everyone to agree with me, but seems like certain others around these parts expect everyone to agree with them. And the term "journalist" is rather broad. So you have a right to your opinion as do I. Life goes on.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you felt that way 20 years ago, you had no business covering the NBA. And if I were your SE, you wouldn't be in my department. How in the hell do you justify covering any professional sport with that type of attitude?

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

To be fair, no one has ever called Darko Milicic "scrappy".

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sorry. Should have had a qualifier against clearly European players.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, lots of things were different 20 years ago, including me. Another lifetime, for all intents and purposes. There are just certain things not a part of my world anymore.

My personal beliefs and opinions have never influenced my ability to do my job. Doesn't matter whether it is professional or amateur. For example, I believe homosexaulity is an abomination, but I once did a profile piece on a former elite athlete who was a lesbian. That wasn't the focus of the story, just an aside to the other details of the person's life.

If you were, say, a staunch Democrat, could you cover a Tea Party rally?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure they did. They just took the 's' out.

Draft saved Draft deleted