1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA All-Star game: White men can't root

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And only two of them played college hoops in state.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Larry Brown secretly coaches every team. To play basketball. The Right Way.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When Harrison Barnes goes pro my secret racism will be exposed.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whenever I see a picture of an NBA game in Sports Illustrated I like playing "Spot the ethnic minority in the crowd" - it's kind of like Where's Waldo.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

that is funny.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good read and there's a lot of truth to it.

Years ago, I covered the NBA. Today wouldn't go anywhere near it. I do like Steve Nash, but he's about it. Why, as a caucasian male, would I want to large chunks of time following a sport like this? Anymore than I'd want to follow Japanese sumo wrestling? Race isn't the entire issue, but it's a significant one.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It was about time the board's only genuine, completely up front about it, classless, racist piece of shit little douchebag weighed in on this thread. Thanks, mark!

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mark, there may be some truth to the story, but the fact that you covered the NBA without someone kicking your ass is amazing and impressive. Obviously you didn't let your racist views be known as you were kissing the ass of every African American player you interviewed.
    And quite frankly, the thought of having someone with your views calling himself a journalist is frightening. This opinion may not be shared by others but it is mine.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think we found our common ground, brip.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm smart. I can't root for any player in the whole damn league.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One aspect that pisses me off is when fans, and media, and coaches, fall all over some schlumpy white guy who maybe can do one thing adequately, ignore the other 95% of the game which they can barely fucking play, and act like he's the second coming of Jimmy Chitwood (hard-working, gritty, gutty, fundamentally sound, yadda yadda etc etc blah blah). This happens a lot in college where the old semi-quota system is still in place -- there are several top-25 programs who keep four or five white stooges on the roster, and it always seems they play more than they probably should.

It doesn't happen very often in the NBA because no matter how good the schlumpy white guys are in their little micro-specialty, the 95% of the game in which they get blown off the court by the competition can't be ignored.

Of course, this is part of the subconscious motivation for the walk-it-up sludgeball style (other than the coaches' collective Napoleon complexes) -- to create a specialty position (spot-up 3-point shooter) where the schlumpy white guys can gravitate.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's is definitely a racial element to how bad white players are always presumed to be "scrappy."

Draft saved Draft deleted