1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA All-Star game: White men can't root

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I can't figure out whether I can root for Jason Williams or not.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The reason the NBA -- and all basketball -- has gone to shit in the last 20 year or so is there's NOT ENOUGH "streetball" and way way too much Norman Dale.

Control-freak coaches have strangled the game from biddy basketball up through the NBA.

Points-per-game and FG attempts per game are dramatically down (about 30 percent) since the early 1970s.

Because of control-freak coaches standing there waving their clipboards and throwing shit-fits if anybody takes a shot with more than 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can buy that, I suppose. But regardless of the reason, the game is markedly less enjoyable to watch than it used to be, a factor bissinger dismisses out of hand.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I seem to recall hearing a radio interview with Bissinger a few years back where he himself went on some anti-NBA rant about how he no longer cared for the league, no longer watched it, and didn't feel the players tried as hard nowadays. But now he's sanctimoniously preaching at the rest of us for supposedly disliking it because of race.

I suspect he may be talking about his own feelings here, and obnoxiously and incorrectly presuming they apply to the rest of us.

5. Starman

The players try hard.

The problem is that for 20 seconds of every 24-second possession, they're trying hard at standing there, under orders of their coach.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think it's actually the opposite: Defenses have gotten much, much better, choking the life out of the game.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Interesting, why have you never raised this point before?

I'm curious, do you think Larry Brown might've played any role in this phenomenon?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Obviously, you haven't watched the game in the past few years or you're just such a feraking moron you see only what you want to see so you can rant like a lunatic.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The only NBA players I've ever rooted for where Kirk Hinrich, Nick Collison, Fred Hoiberg, Kyle Korver, Ryan Bowen and Raef LaFrentz. Doesn't have anything to do with race. I just like players from Iowa.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

What an idiot (Bissinger, not you Drip).

For the record, my 71-year-old mom still loves the NBA.

Her top players today: DWade, T.Duncan, T. Parker and R.Allen.

She hates Bron, appreciates Ginobli's game but doesn't love him, never much cared for Stockton and doesn't like Nash.

Yes, moms is white.

11. Starman

I've been watching basketball for 45 years and I know what I see.

Field goal attempts are down 20-30 percent from 40 years ago.

Every mother fucking possession has become everyone standing around until there's 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then chuck something up (a wild 3 or panic drive).

The freaking morons are the idiots who buy into the MSM conventional wisdom about "streetball," endlessly regurgitated by 98% of the moron teevee commentators.

Any time on any NBA (or major college) telecast anybody takes a shot with double digits left on the shot clock, the "color commentator" invariably shits himself about how "they need to be more patient on offense" and "use more of the clock."

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There are plenty of black coaches in the league. You better be careful or your carefully scripted screechfest regarding the NBA will come off as racist.

Draft saved Draft deleted