1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2020 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 15, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think they extract pretty good value out of players while they're there, yeah. But they're kind of one of those nebulous "middle of the pack" teams right now. Their current roster can probably get into the playoffs, with some Pop Magic, and be dangerous to a sleepwalking higher seed. I don't think they have a path to a championship. Understandably yet still somewhat amazingly, the "best" they've picked since Duncan #1 was around #18 at various points. But kind of like how other teams just started copying Oakland in baseball, the other NBA teams have developed good European scouting networks, similar to the Spurs. The Spurs are still getting valuable regulars and bench guys in the draft, which is better than a lot of other teams, but 1) all-star level talent like Parker and Manu is no longer as available that late in the draft and 2) it's hard to bundle up a bunch of "pretty good regular, no chance of being an all-star" players and draft picks in the 20s to acquire a blue chip talent.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m crossposting this one:

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

Also, as a Celtics fan, I do not like the developments in Philadelphia. Shedding Horford for Danny Green obviously seems like a downgrade in talent, but it's a much better fit for the Sixers roster, as are all of their draft picks and signing Dwight Howard to back-up Embiid. I still don't know if Embiid and Simmons are going to win a championship together, but I trust Morey and Rivers way more to achieve that than Brand, Brown and Colangelo.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does either get better or worse?

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

poindexter and heyabbott like this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Both are awful deals ending at the same time. But I’d rather have Wall

8. sgreenwell

I think it depends on what the goal is. The Wizards clearly just want to make the playoffs, and I think Beal and Westbrook probably gets them there, as long as they're both playing 60+ games. However, it's hard to see them as a serious contender, so they're basically stuck in that middle third of the Eastern Conference until Westbrook's contract is off the books.

Still, I'd rather have their end of the trade, because at least I've seen Westbrook *play* recently. John Wall, it wouldn't surprise me if he's like late career Gilbert Arenas or Grant Hill at this point. He's signed at $41M and $44M the next two years, and let me play fortune teller here - I think he's going to pick up his $47M player option for 2022-23. The dark part of my mind wonders if they acquired him with the hopes that he would retire, but with *that* much money left on his contract, there's pretty much zero chance he'd go along with that anyway.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure he'll be delighted to go to DC.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Almost 10 per cent of first-week (Nov 24-30) COVID tests came back positive in NBA. That's a yikes!

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd take Russ -- you have no clue what Wall is going to look like as a guy who had a major injury and missed all of last season and hasn't played a full season since 16-17. Russ may be a headache, but you know what you're going to get on the court.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted