1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2020 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Westbrook just needs to go somewhere irrelevant and go crazy. He tried fitting in to a winning team. It kinda worked, even. But his destiny is to be the guy you watch to see what it would be like if you gave a bionic man cocaine and let him try to score 60 points a night. We, he, should welcome this.

I don’t want to see him in a system. I don’t want to see him fit in. I don’t want to watch him try to fit a metric.

Just wind him up and let him make the...I don’t know...Sacramento Kings or Charlotte Hornets or Cleveland Cavaliers interesting.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'll score 100+ in a game.

I'd like to see him try anyway.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

NBA Single Game Leaders and Records for Field Goal Attempts | Basketball-Reference.com

DESTINY

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Welcome to the NBA, Tampa Bay Raptors!

TigerVols likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Delayed response but the fact Jordan took LaMelo makes it more intriguing.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How long until he bans Lavar from team facilities?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lakers with the ninja move of signing 6MOY Montrezl Harrell is shocking; even more shocking is a Lakers scoop didn't come from Woj. Man, he's really missing Kobe.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Reminder that NBA GMs are like drunken sailors once they get money, and free agency opened today. The class is pretty awful, which usually means that there will be less silliness, or even more silliness. Silly deals to me so far:
    • Jazz sign Jordan Clarkson, 4 years and $52M. Favors resigned for 3 years, $30M. I don't particular care for either, but the Clarkson one strikes me as especially bad. A meh defensive wing and gunner seems cheaper to find. Favors doesn't seem any different than guys like Ed Davis and Dwight Howard who sign for the minimum now.
    • Danilo Gallinari signs with the Hawks for 3 years, $61.5M. He's past 30 and this was his first healthy season in ages.

Deals I liked:
    • Lakers signed Montrezl Harrell on a two-year deal. He's a Clutch client (LeBron), so it's unclear if he was actually available for any other team.
    • Howard signed for the vets minimum (about $2.5M) with Philly. Seems like he'd be a fine backup for Embiid at this point of his career, and that Doc is the kind of coach that would be good for him.
    • Blazers signed Rodney Hood to two-year, $21M deal, but the second year isn't guaranteed.
    • Malik Beasley at 4 years, $60M to stay with the Wolves is good... as long as he's not effected by pending felony weapon and drug charges. (I'm assuming the Wolves have language to protect themselves here.
    • Trey Burke re-signed by the Mavs, 3Y and $10M total; third year is a player option. I'd rather have him than Clarkson.
    • Dragic and Leonard re-signed with the Heat. Terms not disclosed yet, but I don't think either were for big money.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What's the conventional wisdom on Giannis? He staying or going?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There hasn't been anything clear. The Bucks are clearly trying to build up a better supporting cast to convince him to stay and are willing to let it play out and not trade him. He hasn't said anything to suggest he wants out.

Having said that...

Guys like Giannis don't stay in places like Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a "no one else offered you a contract" destination. My money would be on Toronto or Miami.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The Gallo deal is ridiculous. The result of a drunken sailor also being given a "win now" ultimatum from his boss.

Hermes likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There's been a ton of interest in Gallinari over the past year. It seemed like he was everyone's trade target at the deadline.

I don't really get it, but he was always going to get paid this offseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted