1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2019-20 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I do not understand why the Warriors traded for Wiggins.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

MIN's pick is top-3 protected in 2021, unprotected in 2022. That's the only real asset they got.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He's really talented. How many teams traded for Jeff Green? That kind of talent is always so tantalizing, even if you have no clue whether it'll be a positive value or a negative value for your team. The next guy / team always think they're going to be the ones who figure it out.

I don't understand the deal for Golden State. I'd rather have Russell, even next year - You can play Thompson at the 3, probably. The draft pick isn't good enough to me to justify taking on Wiggins, especially since it is Top 3 protected.

The deal for Drummond, woof. The Cavs didn't have to give anything up to get him, so sure, might as well grab him. I honestly have no clue what the "real" value of a non-shooting center is at this point, though. The deal almost makes more sense if the Pistons were worried he was going to pick up his option, because otherwise why not just let him walk for nothing? I'd rather have the free salary than Knight, Henson and a second. (Maybe Knight and Henson's deals are expiring, which would mean a second round pick for Drummond.)

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Seeing the Sixers situation, and the Lakers last year, until AD teamed up with LeBron, it reminds me that all the lottery picks in the world don't mean anything. They are literally lottery tickets, you are just hoping you pick the one.

The Sixers are already sliding backwards, years upon years of The Process and all it got them was two good guys who both have flaws, and can't seem to play well together. The Lakers had a string of top 3 picks, and they were all nothing but flotsam. Not a difference-maker among them. Yes, Ingram is an all star player this year, but he isn't a difference maker.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

And Morris is a Clipper.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Knight and Henson are expiring and yes, they were scared Drummond would opt in

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Warriors are mostly on salary dump mode to avoid being repeat cap offenders. Does anyone think they're close to sniffing the playoffs this season? I've got a bridge for sale ....

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize Wiggins isn't worth his $30m over the next three years, but 20 ppg isn't anything to sneeze at. And I'm guessing there isn't enough ball for him and Townes - but a player like Wiggins will get less attention on defense when Steph and Klay return.

We’ve Been Waiting For This Andrew Wiggins

9. poindexter

Nobody anywhere thinks they are shooting towards the playoffs this year. They literally have the worst record in the NBA.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they took on a terrible player on a max deal.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Maybe. But like, would you have given Harrison Barnes a max contract? He was also an erratic, athletic and frustrating player. The Warriors didn't a couple years ago, but now, it's like they're trading for him. I think Wiggins is held in better regard, but man, he's making so much money and his career VORP is -1.4. His Top 10 similarity scores includes 0 Hall of Fame players, T.J. Warren, Bison Dele, James Jones, Andrea Bargnani and Antoine Carr.

12. poindexter

There can't be a bigger warning sign on high scoring players on terrible teams.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted