1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2019-20 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I actually went out to catch that one at a bar, since it was on the East Coast and I'm old and struggle to stay awake for late games. I thought Phoenix was going to blow it, for sure. Of course, they give one back against the Spurs last night. They're very competitive but wildly inconsistent, which is way better than the past few years when they just plain sucked.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’m a Zionist. I think I’d like him to lose weight, get into core exercises, lengthen his muscles and take some stress off his lower body. Same height as Barkley and he’s 3 inches shorter than LeBron and Karl Malone and 3o pounds heavier. He can maintain his strength and probably get more lift if he were lighter but toner.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This was recommended on YouTube, Pistol Pete's first NBA game, Atlanta against the Bucks. I knew the Bucks had Alcindor AND Oscar Robertson but it's different when you see it. I was born 11 months later and have never seen video of those champion Bucks. And it's a trip watching all of these names I heard growing up but had no visual recollection of. Hazzard. Hudson. Bellamy. Boozer. Dandridge.

YouTube really is the best invention since sliced bread the remote control.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I very vaguely remember watching that game; it was three days before my brother was born.
    Alcindor gets 3 fouls in the first quarter. :eek: (Plus comes back early in the second quarter!!)
    Notice also at the time NBA games were simply part of Wide World of Sports.
    I remember all the games from Georgia Tech, the lighting was awful; the sides and corners of the court were like a coal mine. The next season, I believe, they switched to the artificial Tartan surface floor, which is dull matte vs. shiny reflective like hardwood; the Tartan floor was much duller than the hardwood floor and the teevee games were absolutely gloomy.

Notice that the commentators don't really differentiate much between point guards and shooting guards, and power forwards vs. small forwards. Plus all the 12-17 foot jumpers that nobody ever shoots today.

I don't remember Walt Bellamy ever doing jack against any decent centers (Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Thurmond, etc etc) but against scrubs and backups, he was a beast.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. Songbird

In a week the Lakers have lost to the C's and Sixers by 50 points.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In other news, water used to be wet

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An Embiid-less Sixer team.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Vernon Maxwell hates Utah.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FTFY

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There are only 16 black people in Utah.

11. Songbird

1, the Bucks are 41-6

2, the Bucks had 88 at halftime tonight and are at 151 and counting ... Middleton has 51

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

WITHOUT GIANNIS

Draft saved Draft deleted