1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2012: Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do we have one of these yet?

If so, disregard.

If not, happy to have basketball back again for a full season. Lots of intriguing story lines, old faces in new places, new roles for promising breakout candidates, etc., etc.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

N ... B ... A ... ?

3. Dick Whitman

For people who would rather not watch slow, white kids run the picket fence at 'em on ESPN all winter long.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seriously? I thought 66 games and a Christmas Day start worked just fine.

5. Dick Whitman

Really? I hated it. Play was extremely sloppy early on, and then you had so many injuries and missed time because of the condensed schedule. Just not a fun year to sit through.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Poor Timberwolves. Eventually they'll still be one of the more enjoyable teams to watch, but the first month or two could be fairly brutal. Love breaks his hand while working out at home (okay?). Rubio out for awhile still. If Roy is anything close to what he was, he'll be a huge upgrade at that spot. Added AK-47. But if they fall too far behind the pack in November and December, it'll be impossible to make up a lot of ground in the West once Love and Rubio return.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Maybe Derrick Williams will step up in Love's absence and become the player everyone expect him to become.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Main thing I care about - that Kyrie Irving continues to look like a stud - and avoids major injuries.

Thing I'm hoping beyond all reasonable hope will happen - The sixth man on a Big East team can totally start in the NBA. Why shouldn't he?

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Watched Detroit some this preseason. Andre Drummond was impressive. If he can take on some minutes, it will really help Greg Monroe. Pistons went 4-20, then .500 last season. It's a young team, but I think Detroit's a sleeper to slide into the playoffs.

Which brings me to an interesting panel discussion held on CSN-Chicago's "Tribune Live." How would you rank the East after Miami? Those fellows went with Boston, but felt Chicago (even minus Rose) would push the Celtics. In no particular order, Pacers, Knicks, Nets, 76ers after that.

Milwaukee? Other than Jennings and Ellis, don't really recognize the Bucks. Still wondering about trading a pretty good 7-footer (when healthy) for a shooting guard who cannot or will not defend.

Seems like Atlanta is expected to experience a major downturn. Larry Drew first coach fired this season?

10. Dick Whitman

I can't see that. Who in the world scores? Who can create his own shot?

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Re: Chicago-your point still stands, Dick, but poorly worded on my part. The panel's premise was more along the lines of after Boston, why not Chicago? I would tend to agree there's a big drop off following the Heat and Celtics.

12. Dick Whitman

I like Indiana a lot. And the Knicks. And Brooklyn. Then maybe - MAYBE - Chicago. Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted